Camry Hybrid recoup cost time is now 1.7 years

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Hybrid recoup cost time is now 1.7 years

2) 32mpg on a TCH is a bit low compared with the average shown on these forums (even on this website it shows the average at 36mpg)...
The web site figures displayed here are (IMHO) not real world figures. They are figures related to drivers who are fixated on their mileage. I'll bet the average driver of these cars will just drive it and not worry about tire pressure, etc..
If you take someone who just drives the car, lives in a colder climate, etc. I imagine the statistics would come in lower than 36 MPG.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast

You're right but for the average driver who is not fixated on their milage will also not get 27mpg in a Rav4. I don't think a Rav4 is that fuel efficient under normal driving conditions. In the winter you will get lower average FE but that goes for all vehicles and gas guzzlers are much worse. If you compare FE in the winter the savings on a TCH payback much sooner.

Last edited by Flexus; 05-13-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Do traditional engines decrease their fuel efficiency the same way that the hubrid does?
With a gas engine, in the winter, the engine goes on, you drive and then you turn it off. Pretty much the same as in the spring, no?
I know there might be some change, but not nearly the same as the drop off in hybrids (which, just guessing, can lose 4 or 5 MPG).
Am I off base?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM

I would have bought the XLE had I not bought the Hybrid, since the Canadian XLE comes with all the same features. THe Hybrid came in about $2000 less than the XLE, so as far as I'm concerned I'm already ahead of the game when it comes to recouping cost.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Grand Am got 27MPG (70F and higher) in the summer and 20MPG in the winter (-20F). Difference of 7MPG between hot and cold months.

I noticed that as well in my area. Can't remember if it was an XLE or LE but it was only 2000$ cheaper than the hybrid plus the 2000$ government rebate. Works out the same. If it was an LE then the hybrid is cheaper.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Admittedly, it's very hard to get an exact comparison between the TCH and a NON-hybrid Camry. Some things standard on the TCH aren't even available on the LE (or XLE) and some things on the XLE aren't available on the TCH.

TCH: Smart key entry, top of the line stability control (and related systems), Consumption screen, 600-700 mile fuel tank range....

XLE: Rear sunshade, wood trim interior, fog lights...

With that said, I wonder realy, how many of us truly bought the TCH to save money? I suspect that we all hoped to, and certainly, we are using less gas, but honestly....

The main reasons I bought it? Saving gas, less stops at the gas station, less emissions, and the WAY COOL technology. And had I not bought the TCH, I wouldn't have bought anything else, and would be getting 20MPG in my Highlander. So I guess I AM saving money!

Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Am I wrong or are most of these comparisons vs the 4 cylinder Camry?
I think a more accurate comparison is vs the 6 cylinder since the number of HP (combining both engines) is much closer to the v6 than the v4.
When I did my "homework" two years ago, the TCH and similarly equipped 6 cyl were very close in price.
(By the way, I have already owned my 2007 TCH for two years).

Last edited by hamm3r; 05-13-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:00 AM

The comparison I made (above) is with respect to the Canadian XLE, which is a V6. I agree that in terms of horsepower (as well as standard features) it is a far more fair comparison. As I said, MSRP was $2000 LESS for the Hybrid than for the XLE, at the time I purchased.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 AM

Flexus: Just to clarify, the numbers I used are comparing the Camry XLE (not a RAV4) to the Camry Hybrid taking Haroldo's difference in price of $3000.

The i4 RAV4 gets 23 MPG at best from my experiences. The v6 is close to that as well.

All: Indeed, it would be nearly impossible to find the EXACT match in features. But, one could probably get the pricing to work out right -- for example, the sun shade is $200 on the XLE, maybe heated seats is $200 on the Hybrid, so don't add heated seats to the XLE. Either way tough.

I purchased the Hybrid to make an investment in technology I felt was worth it and to cut emissions. As a secondary, I purchased it to save in fuel cost. I can say this because I was going to purchase a Tacoma (22 mpg) and switched last minute (literally). A non-hybrid Camry would have been out of the question. I would have purchased the Tacoma if the Hyrbid was not released as the Prius is unacceptable too small for me.