Can I warm up my TCH with the doors locked?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I warm up my TCH with the doors locked?

Originally Posted by slyasafocks
Does the TCH warm up quickly in cold (-35 degree C) climates, ie is there a need to run your vehicle for a warm up period.

I do have an engine block heater on mine but have not owned it for the winter yet.
Love the Camry Hybrid so far.
-35 is cold. I'd use the block heater. This (and really light oil) will give you the most help in the cold.

With or without the block heater I'd simply start the car and drive off gently. Idling simply wastes a lot of gas. Plus the engine will warm up quicker under load.

In the cold the TCH will use the electric motor to keep the gas engine from running under load till the oil is flowing well.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

you know, come to think about it... ICE does not really turn on initially to warm up coolant. it turns on to warm up HSD and cat. thereafter, in E-mode capability, everything runs off 12V battery. I am not even sure it's designed to run engine till it reaches 196 degrees.

also, have to agree with you. I am still shaking my head over why they made that car so that someone can drive it away without key inside. must be Japanese thing.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast

Love the car, very nervous about letting it idle

Old 09-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Pragmatist

To a lot of people, "warm up" means getting the cabin temperature up to something that resembles 70 degrees F.

At temperatures that are seriously cold, a block heater will preheat the engine. That preheated engine will do two things. It will start easier and warm up quicker. And, it will "warm up" the cabin much quicker, because the cabin heater will start working sooner.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

You can start the car and eject the actual key from the smart key by pushing the "Push" button on the side. You can use this key to manually lock or unlock the doors from the outside while the car is running. This is what I have done during the cold seasons while I was letting my car warm up.