Canadian Eco Rebate -Now accepting applications

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Canadian Eco Rebate -Now accepting applications

My first post here.

I know that there is another thread on this issue but decided to open a separate one so it does not get buried.

My dealer called me this morning to let me know that the eco rebate is now up

Link to sitehttp://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environ...pplication.htm

Link to form http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environ...to.aspx?file=f

Going to get mine in soon.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadian Eco Rebate -Now accepting applications

As suspected, I am not eligible, even though my car is in the list, because I bought in US. I guess US dealer made it polluting.
I knew this before buying, but 10k difference was enough for me to shop south.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crasher
As suspected, I am not eligible, even though my car is in the list, because I bought in US. I guess US dealer made it polluting.
I knew this before buying, but 10k difference was enough for me to shop south.
I'm just curious, but when you imported it, did you have to pay GST?

Old 10-02-2007, 03:53 PM

It is only good from March 2007 as well. I purchased my HCH2 before this date. Rats!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmorrow
I'm just curious, but when you imported it, did you have to pay GST?
I paid 6% GST on equivalent( that day exchange rate) Cad. $ value, $100 A/c tax as all Canadians. At time of registration, also paid prov. sales tax like every1. On top of that, I had to get the car inspected that it meets Canadian safety standards. Dont know why the discrepency.
Is there any Ombudsman, where I can complain?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dont know why the discrepency.
Complain about what? That's the same taxes and the like the rest of us had to pay. The only thing some provinces don't have to do is pay for the inspection, but that's true of any imported car.

Or, where you suspecting the Canadian government to give you a rebate for money you spent in another country?

Dang

Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dang
Complain about what? That's the same taxes and the like the rest of us had to pay. The only thing some provinces don't have to do is pay for the inspection, but that's true of any imported car.

Or, where you suspecting the Canadian government to give you a rebate for money you spent in another country?

Dang
I have every right to complain. I saved the money to be spent here in this country by not giving away to foriegn corporation and paid full tax here, not in US.
Even if you buy the car here, your money still goes to Toyota Motor.(subsidiary of Toyota Inc. Japan). All cars are made in US anyways.
Eco(logy)rebate is giving rebate to promote cleaner cars, not inefficient distributorship. If I buy a fuel guzzler from US, then I have to pay gas tax like everyone here, no discount there.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually I just wasn't sure what you were complaining about, it wasn't clear in the original post. I thought it might have been about the cost/requirement to get it inspected.

I do understand the argument, but that's probably over simpifying it a bit. Toyota CANADA, if they are like every other company operating here, will pay a massive amount of business tax (much more than the U.S. by the way.).
By buying the car in the U.S., that business tax went to the American government, not the Canadian one. It's hard to leave that out of the equation. Expecting the Canadian government to give you money to support the U.S. government is probably a bit of a stretch, but good luck with it. Still, all politics aside the concept makes sense, the theory is a more fuel efficient car helps Canada meet it's infrastructure targets, such as Kyoto, hence the rebates. Unfortunatly "all politics aside" is rarely a statement any government will make.

Good Luck!

Dang

Old 10-03-2007, 07:24 AM

I paid 6% GST on equivalent( that day exchange rate) Cad. $ value, $100 A/c tax as all Canadians. At time of registration, also paid prov. sales tax like every1. On top of that, I had to get the car inspected that it meets Canadian safety standards. Dont know why the discrepency.
Since the rebate is being billed as a rebate on the GST paid, as an incentive to buy a higher efficiency - lower emissions vehicle, I agree that you should be entitled to it. You absolutely complied with the spirit of the program in choosing a more fuel-efficient vehicle. It is supposed to be a rebate on what you actually paid the Canadian govt in taxes, and should have nothing to do with where the money was spent on the actual vehicle.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I'm going to have to agree with Dang on this one. The federal program is an incentive rebate program, not a tax rebate program such as the one run by the Ontario provincial govt (and others perhaps). And as a Canadian govt program, it makes sense that it would limit the program to sales from Canadian businesses (like all things political, there is never a single motive). I also think that Toyota Canada should have the right to charge whatever they want for their cars, $100,000CAD for a TCH if they like! The only thing I don't agree is any back door deals to attempt to "prevent" someone from buying a car in the US if that is what they want to do. If the price is low enough in the US to make it worth your while, that is your incentive program.

Quick Reply: Canadian Eco Rebate -Now accepting applications

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands