Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Originally Posted by Droid13
Yea, but you live in Alberta. They probably give gas away there free
Don't I wish.

Average at most of the majors around town is 99.5 per liter so no not exactly giving it away. That's what about 5 cents a liter less than Toronto?

Even if they did give it away I'd still be driving a TCH.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:04 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Droid13 — Yes, of course a retroactive tax on gass-guzzlers would be unfair. That's why I never suggested it. What I suggested was that the rebates be made retroactive for purchasers of just those specific 2007 model-year vehicles that are on the government's list of fuel-efficient vehicles approved for a rebate. How would you feel if you had purchased say a TCH on March 19, only to find out that you could have saved $1500 had you waited one day longer. This is not a dealer incentive. It's a government incentive. The intent is to encourage the purchase of such vehicles. It's punitive not to make it retroactive on these approved current-model vehicles. At least, that's my opinion. The government had already indicated some time ago that they were thinking of doing something of this sort.

Stan

Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
The intent is to encourage the purchase of such vehicles.
There above is the whole point against your own argument.

You already made your decision to purchase knowing there was no federal rebate.

So why should they offer you the $1500 you after the fact.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
SPL

Sooty — For the same reason that tax changes are often made retroactive — in the interest of fairness. I know that this isn't a tax change, but in my view the same principle applies here. Now, of course, governments (and especially this one) don't usually act on principle, but on self interest. But one can hope!

Stan

Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
Sooty — For the same reason that tax changes are often made retroactive — in the interest of fairness. I know that this isn't a tax change, but in my view the same principle applies here. Now, of course, governments (and especially this one) don't usually act on principle, but on self interest. But one can hope!

Stan
Stan you still seem to be missing the point.

You don't need an incentive you already bought one.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:01 PM
SPL

Sooty — No, I didn't miss that point. I understood it from the very beginning. It's all a question of fairness, and that has nothing at all to do with saving money by not giving a rebate because there's no incentive value attached to giving a rebate to someone who has already made his/her purchase. I'd call it "principle versus principal!"

Stan

Old 03-23-2007, 12:37 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by SPL
Droid13 — Yes, of course a retroactive tax on gass-guzzlers would be unfair. That's why I never suggested it.
In case you took this as criticism, I was just joking around...

Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
Sooty — No, I didn't miss that point. I understood it from the very beginning. It's all a question of fairness, and that has nothing at all to do with saving money by not giving a rebate because there's no incentive value attached to giving a rebate to someone who has already made his/her purchase. I'd call it "principle versus principal!"

Stan
Why is it not fair that you aren't getting this rebate? You purchased the vehicle before the rebate was available.

The offer of a rebate is the incentive to purchase after March 20th.

If you've already made your purchase without the incentive from the federal government why would you expect them to give you something now.

Let's ask the question in a different way. If you found out that Toyota dropped the price by $2,000 for people purchasing after April 1st this year because sales were slow. Would you go back to your dealer and ask for a $2,000 refund?

Last edited by Sooty; 03-23-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sooty
Why is it not fair that you aren't getting this rebate? You purchased the vehicle before the rebate was available.

The offer of a rebate is the incentive to purchase after March 20th.

If you've already made your purchase without the incentive from the federal government why would you expect them to give you something now.

Let's ask the question in a different way. If you found out that Toyota dropped the price by $2,000 for people purchasing after April 1st this year because sales were slow. Would you go back to your dealer and ask for a $2,000 refund?
You know... I wouldn't ask for a refund, but I would go to my salesman, and my sales manager, and tell them that when I started shopping for my next car that I would come to them first, but that if I didn't get a very good deal, I would be inclined to look elsewhere with a little more gusto than I otherwise would.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM
SPL

Sooty — Because this is the government, not a for-profit corporation.

Stan

Quick Reply: Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands