Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Thumbs up Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Several provinces currently offer tax rebates for the purchase of Hybrid vehicles ($2000 in Ontario). The latest federal budget now introduces a graduated rebate for fuel efficient cars, whether they be hybrids, E85s, or simply small and efficient. Based on the TCH's Cdn govt fuel rating, it should qualify for an additional $1500 of rebate over the existing provincial rebates.

Gas guzzling passenger cars will in kind be hit with new levies of between $1000 and $4000.

What remains to be seen is if the budget will survive with the minority govt. If you're in the market for a TCH in Canada, something you'll want to follow...

Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Originally Posted by Droid13
Several provinces currently offer tax rebates for the purchase of Hybrid vehicles ($2000 in Ontario). The latest federal budget now introduces a graduated rebate for fuel efficient cars, whether they be hybrids, E85s, or simply small and efficient. Based on the TCH's Cdn govt fuel rating, it should qualify for an additional $1500 of rebate over the existing provincial rebates.

Gas guzzling passenger cars will in kind be hit with new levies of between $1000 and $4000.

What remains to be seen is if the budget will survive with the minority govt. If you're in the market for a TCH in Canada, something you'll want to follow...
Unlikely to help anyone who's already purchased one though.

Not that I really expected anything.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

yes
and ontarios budget will be this thursday, hopefully the existing $2000 stays, maybe increases?
thanks
dan

Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately, the Canadian federal budget's proposed rebate on 2007-model fuel-efficient vehicles (including hybrids) is not retroactive. I personally think that this is unfair. It penalizes those of us who had the initiative to purchase those very same current-model vehicles before March 20, in order to "encourage" more people to do so in the future. It's being largely paid for by the additional tax to be imposed on "gas guzzlers." The government should be encouraged to make the rebates retroactive on those fuel-efficient 2007 models.

Stan

Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
Unfortunately, the Canadian federal budget's proposed rebate on 2007-model fuel-efficient vehicles (including hybrids) is not retroactive. I personally think that this is unfair. It penalizes those of us who had the initiative to purchase those very same current-model vehicles before March 20, in order to "encourage" more people to do so in the future. It's being largely paid for by the additional tax to be imposed on "gas guzzlers." The government should be encouraged to make the rebates retroactive on those fuel-efficient 2007 models.

Stan
I thought that way at first but then thought if they do that then what is to stop buyers of fuel efficient vehicles made prior to the 2007 model year saying what about us. Then were do you stop.

So as unfair as it seems I can live with it and understand why it was done the way it was.

Steve

Old 03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

Did anyone really buy a hybrid because of the rebate anyways? The rebate just made a good thing better.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTode
Did anyone really buy a hybrid because of the rebate anyways? The rebate just made a good thing better.
I didn't as there were no rebates available when I bought mine.

So it didn't even enter in to the equation.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

hi
yes, and we will see if the ontario gvt keeps its $2000 rebate, maybe raises it, making more sense to buy a hybrid over a se v6 with every budget! $up to $3500 now!

im leaning more hybrid now than ever, i was on the fence, but im reading, even with my limited driving, its the right thing to do for me
thanks
dan

Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Sooty
I didn't as there were no rebates available when I bought mine.

So it didn't even enter in to the equation.
Yea, but you live in Alberta. They probably give gas away there free

Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by SPL

Stan
How about a retroactive tax on the gas guzzlers...

"Hello Sir, this is the Canada Revenue Agency calling. We understand you recently bought a new car, a 2007 luxoboat XLST Special Anniversary Limited Edition from our records. How's that working out for you? ......... Excellent, well I'm happy to tell you sir that we'll be sending you a bill for $4000 to help pay for some tax breaks we're going to give to other people. Have a nice day".

Last edited by Droid13; 03-22-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Canadian TCH Rebate Increases by $1500

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands