Car Tracking - from Mfgr to Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Arrow Car Tracking - from Mfgr to Delivery

Might be a silly question, but way back in 2000 when we ordered our new 2001 PT Cruiser, there were some pretty smart people on the forum that knew how to access the public portal to Daimler Chrysler's database (all fully legit and legal) which would allow you to track your vehicle by Build # / Serial Number and finally VIN number all the way through the manufacturing process to Final Test / QA (in Mexico) and then on to shipping (Rail / Truck).

It was these same enterprising people that found the public portals to the Railway / Trucking companies. We tracked our cars through the whole process and many of us were able to tell the dealers when our cars were going to be at the transfer station for load onto a Transport truck.
My dealer even had me track a few other customer's cars for those who were not Internet savy. I got a free color matched spoiler and all weather floor-mats as well as a nice book of freebie service coupons for my effort (none were solicited though)..

So I'm here asking -

Is there any way to track Toyota Camry's ??

Old 09-30-2006, 05:44 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Car Tracking - from Mfgr to Delivery

Anyone?

Old 09-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Randy, May be common with domestic vehicals but have never heard of this with the European cars. SK

Old 09-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Randy, i am not sure but think your dealer's sales manager should be able to provide you with the status....whether on the ship, on the ground or on the truck or train to the dealership

Old 10-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Hi - Thanks for the replies.. I figured it was worth asking anyway.

As to my dealer's knowing where the car is at - I'm sure they have some information available to them, I just wanted to see if any of that data could be obtained publically so I wouldn't be pestering them..

Old 10-01-2006, 07:37 AM
amf
amf

Toyota dealers have a direct link into toyota for vehicle information called Dealer Daily. The system is proprietary. Vehicles have 3 status levels in this system.

A status: Vehicle has been allocated (earned) to the dealer. This means that it is assigned for production at a future date. Allocation of toyota vehicles occurs twice monthly. Information available at this early stage will include a estimated production date and sometimes an estimated range of delivery date.

F status: Vehicle is scheduled for shipping to a dealer and information on estimated arrival date is available. Also VIN number on vehicle is available. Depending on region that dealer is in and proximity to the local port of entry, ETA arrival times are from 2-10 days to dealer once vehicle loads on truck

G status: Vehicle shipped and due to dealer usually within 48 hours or sooner

Any dealer can provide you with updated information as it is available from the system. Dates are always subject to change due to varing weather conditions at sea for shipments from Japan, processing delays at port of entry, parts delay for port installed options, etc so be aware that if a dealer gives you information on an ETA that changes they (assuming they are being honest) are sharing what they know based on information from Dealer Daily. They do not have access to explanations on changed or dealyed ETA information in the system. They only are given daily updates based on Toyotas regional distribution at the time.

Hope that helps.

Alan
Freeman Toyota
Santa Rosa, CA

Old 10-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Hi Alan - GREAT information thank you!!!

I've sent you a PM in the hopes you can help me with a report I have...

Old 10-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

For those interested in the current lead time, I have just received the following information for the Camry hybrid that I ordered in Toronto on September 22.During the next week the dealer tried to find a vehicle locally or in transit but without success before ordering it direct from the factory. I have just received word that the vehicle will be manufactured in Kentucky and is scheduled for October 18 at this time it will be assigned a VIN number and the dealer will be able to start tracing it presumably as described in previous messages.
All being well I should receive the vehicle by the end of the month or about four weeks from the time it was ordered from the factory. I'm just hoping that there are no problems with the first Camry hybrid's to come out of the Kentucky plant.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Wow Paul - That's GREAT!!!! You'll probably be the first owner of an American built TCH here!

I wouldn't be really worried about quality - This isn't Toyota's first rodeo when it comes to building cars here..