Car vibrates with rear windows down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 PM
tjq
Active Enthusiast
Default Car vibrates with rear windows down.

Happened a few times and wonder if anyone can explain.

While driving with all the windows down, then raising the both front windows, this vibration is felt, coming from the rear of the car. When lowering either front window the vibration goes away. Or when closing the rear windows it stops.

Anyone expeirience a similar happening to them?

Thanks.

tjq.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car vibrates with rear windows down.

Yes, the car is acting like a giant whistle, but instead of the shrill with a small whistle, it's a thumping, pulsing sensation. Best bet is to crack a window across from the one that's wide open, as you mention by lowering the front windows. This prevents the resonance of the cabin.

Any car can do it: it's a factor of speed, opening size, wind direction, ect. In fact, the little lip thing that raises when you open sunroofs is there to prevent the same effect.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Freeze!

Hmmm... I have also noticed this. One time I thought it was because I was driving fast on the freeway with the stereo cranked to about 45 on the volume and it was my door speaker ah.... vibrating. But today I noticed it with lower volume and wondered. I prefer to have diagonal windows open, driver's and back right to avoid loose papers on passenger seat from flying around or out the window. Is there a level of window height that you can suggest that would counter the whistle problem? When I am driving on the coast I don't generally use the ac because of the ocean breezes..

Thanks!!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

With the rear windows down, I have noticed the rear seatbelts slapping the seats in the breeze. Could this be what you are sensing?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

This has happened to me on suburban streets, traveling at 35 to 40 as well as highway speeds of 65. Usually have all 4 windows down or half way down. Close the front windows while both back windows are most of the way open. Actually feels like the rear wheels are vibrating or bouncing a bit. Real weird sensation and as soon as the rear windows are closed it goes away. Or if the front windows are left open or partially open it does not happen.

tjq

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
With the rear windows down, I have noticed the rear seatbelts slapping the seats in the breeze. Could this be what you are sensing?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I do not believe it is the seat belts flapping, but I will look again to be sure. I have looked down and saw the lower part of driver's door vibrating with the various window configurations I have tried. I will try the front windows partial down and see what happens. I really do like the diagonal combo better for air circulation because I am still having some problems with both front and back windows fogging up when driving....

Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

If the windows are fogging up, you need to turn offf the recirculate on the AC panel

Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 AM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Agree on not being the seat belts, front or rear. Have to try it again but have to wait till the wife is not with me. Like I said, it was weird and does make us feel apprehensive, particulary when the vibration is felt through the rear wheels. It feels similar to going over a chatter strip.

Originally Posted by CA Girl
I do not believe it is the seat belts flapping, but I will look again to be sure. I have looked down and saw the lower part of driver's door vibrating with the various window configurations I have tried. I will try the front windows partial down and see what happens. I really do like the diagonal combo better for air circulation because I am still having some problems with both front and back windows fogging up when driving....

Old 07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would describe it as a buffering, I have experience it in all of my Toyotas back to 1984 (my first). I prefer fresh air if it is cool enough, but with my kids playing with the windows, it drives me nuts, I end up locking them. I have not experieced this with other brands, this may be a rare occurance, but maybe Toyota should look at other carmakers rear window design.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast

My ex-wifes old 94 Corolla wagon did the same. With the back windows down, there was a "whomp, whomp, whomp" noise vibration that was very disconcerting. It has something to do with the aerodynamics of the car design.

Quick Reply: Car vibrates with rear windows down.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands