"Check Hybrid System"

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Check Hybrid System"

Originally Posted by skywagon
Thanks Schmitt, i am talking about the big battery not the 12 volt as i have that covered with a battery tender that hooks up with a quick connector that stays on the battery. Just wait a few months i have a feeling some one will come out with a tender for the big battery.
I doubt this...

There is too much product liability to let someone who knows nothing about electricity to be poking around and hooking up a tender to high voltage components.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:04 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by spiff72
I doubt this...

There is too much product liability to let someone who knows nothing about electricity to be poking around and hooking up a tender to high voltage components.
And even if someone did, I'd have to think this would be a warranty voiding experience too. I highly doubt Toyota wants anybody touching the traction battery in any way whatsoever. There are battery monitoring electronics in the battery pack. I wonder if the battery port is a smart connection... Error code 3X: unknown device connection on battery port. Initiating warranty void process now.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well I got my car back this morning from the dealer. Long story short, the tow truck driver did leave the car in "N" and the hybrid battery was completely discharged by the time it got to the dealer. Because of this the tech never saw the "check hybrid system" message. They charged the hybrid battery over night, re-calibrated the computer, and this morning the car was fine. They drove it 50 miles without any problems. I don't know what the heck happened, but I've got my ride back and it's running smooth as ever.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is that maybe by discharging the battery it reset whatever other problem was going on. I hope it doesn't re-occur!

In regards to the hybrid battery and letting it sit for awhile. I was wrong when I said every couple weeks it needs to be charged. If you look on page 10 of the owners manual it clearly states: "If the vhicle is parked for a long time, the hybrid battery will discharge gradually. To keep the hybrid batter in good condition, drive the behicle at least once every several months for at least 30 minutes or 10 miles."

Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

Charles, Happy to hear its fixed, it will be a real learning curve for the sevice people who handle these cars as to not leave the power on. last week when I had mine in body shop for hail damage I stopped in often just to check that switch. Valet parking for any length of time is also cause for alarm. sk

Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Charles, good to hear your car is ok. Thanks for sharing the problem and the experience with us. It's very educational!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

One other comment for all TCH owners in San Diego. I went thru David out at El Cajon Toyota and the service was excellent. I've read about Steven and Nash' hellish experiences at other local dealers when they went for oil changes. I'm sticking with El Cajon for now - even though I live on the coast near Mossy. Again they were very nice, paid for the tow from the UTC area to El Cajon, called every day with updates, etc.. Very professional. We'll see how they do when I go back for my first service and request 0W-20 oil.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm glad your car is okay but reading this posts is giving me nightmares...I actually dreamed last night that my display read "Check Hybrid System"...not cool!

Old 09-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenHawaii
I'm glad your car is okay but reading this posts is giving me nightmares...I actually dreamed last night that my display read "Check Hybrid System"...not cool!
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ion.10211.html