Chirping the tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Chirping the tires

I am curious whether anyone else is surprised how easy it is to chirp (and even squeal - until VDIM intervenes) the tires when starting from a dead stop, and really stepping on the gas.

I don't think that I have even floored it from a dead stop yet, but I am still able to break traction easily when I want to get moving in a hurry.

I am wondering if this is tire-related. I have the Michelin tires, but I know that there are a lot of TCH's equipped with the Bridgestones. Can those of you with broken-in vehicles chime in on the ease of "chirping", and let us know which tires you have? (Just don't break any laws in the process!)

Old 07-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Chirping the tires

Yes, when I go a little faster than normal, I can make the tires squeal (or chirp) as you call it. I have Michellin tires.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

What, floor the gas even once and knock 0.1 mpg off my tank average? Are you nuts?

No, seriously, I have not tried to chirp my tires yet, but it's not surprising. Even though the electric motor has less HP than the gas engine, it has all of its torque at zero rpm. So unless some traction control intervenes, breaking the tires loose should be pretty easy.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hey there. I just got my TCH in titanium silver a few weeks ago. I have about 1000km on it now.

I have definitely noticed that I can easily make the tires squeal (not intentionally) on the car. I also own a Mercedes ML320, and used to drive a '98 Nissan Altima, and the tires never squealed with them.
If I stomp on the accelerator from a dead stop, the TCH always squeals, and I've noticed it will squeal during sharp fast turns... but ones that aren't *that* fast... just moderately fast turns even. I never had this issue with either of the other two cars I mentioned.

So I guess it's just because of all the "instant" torque from the electric engine? Is this completely normal?
It was so odd to me when it happened because my other cars never ever squealed!

Old 08-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A lot of this may have to do with the fact that the car is running lower-rolling-resistance tires, which trade off traction for economy. A standard, softer tire would probably not "chirp" or slip as much.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cgi101
Hey there. I just got my TCH in titanium silver a few weeks ago. I have about 1000km on it now.

I have definitely noticed that I can easily make the tires squeal (not intentionally) on the car. I also own a Mercedes ML320, and used to drive a '98 Nissan Altima, and the tires never squealed with them.
If I stomp on the accelerator from a dead stop, the TCH always squeals, and I've noticed it will squeal during sharp fast turns... but ones that aren't *that* fast... just moderately fast turns even. I never had this issue with either of the other two cars I mentioned.

So I guess it's just because of all the "instant" torque from the electric engine? Is this completely normal?
It was so odd to me when it happened because my other cars never ever squealed!
If your tires are squealing on moderate turns, you should get the dealer to check the front end alignment. Our TCH does not have tire squeal until the cornering gets very fast, similar in behavior to most other slightly sporty family cars like the Altima, Accord, Impala, etc.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
A lot of this may have to do with the fact that the car is running lower-rolling-resistance tires, which trade off traction for economy. A standard, softer tire would probably not "chirp" or slip as much.
I don't think that the TCH has low rolling resistance tires. It has Michelin MXV4 tires (if I remember right). I thought these were standard passenger tires. Some also come with Bridgestone Turanzas.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM
WVGasGuy

I have the Bridgestones and with a wear rating of 280 I would not consider those as "hard' low resistance.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

The Michellin MXV4 are a low rolling resistance tire as rated by Consumer Reports. I can't find any data on the Turanza EL 400-02 on rolling resistance . The Michellins might give 1 mpg more than the Bridgestone's.