Considering TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:59 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Considering TCH

The TCH is basically tuned for an urban environment for it's best performance.
If you are looking for a "mountain car" look elsewhere. You FE will suffer and it's power, although very adequate, is not that of a V6.
J

Old 08-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Considering TCH

I believe the Camry can be driven in a fuel-efficient manner in any environment, hilly or not. However, it is EASIEST to drive in a fuel-efficient manner on flat terrain. Many people are getting good fuel economy in hilly areas, and it just takes more patience to learn the techniques for maximizing gas consumption in that environment. You will not likely be disappointed with power, and the Camry Hybrid has received strong owner accolades with few complaints. Certain complaints must be taken with a grain of salt (no offense to anyone)... for example, I had the identical Bluetooth problem that Billy reported, and it proved to be my mobile phone that was the problem, not the Camry. The metal-on-metal sound must certainly be the regenerative braking system... while it's not at all loud, it is a distinctive sound that might make any new owner wonder. And so on. If you live in a hilly area, drive one and see for yourself. Personally, I'm extremely happy with the Camry Hybrid. Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering TCH

Originally Posted by kluken
My last 3 cars were 200-268hp V6 engines (I30, I35, Acura TL) and while the TCH is not going to give thema run for the money it does very well. It is a tad slow off the line, but once the ICE and HSD are working togther the car moves. I find it a nice compromise between a I4 and V6. I have not been on a lot of moutain driving yet, but my area of ATL is hilly and the car does fine. I have no reservations about switching from a 06 TL to a TCH, the TL got 21MPG and required Premium the TCH is getting 34-35 MPG and uses Regular. The JBL kicks ***. My few pet peeves are the horrible dash lighting, too bright at night and too dim during day unless I keep adjusting it. Teh fit/finish seems a bit loose, many of the panels, trim etc, seem they coudl be much more snuggly fit/assembled. The car has a rather limp body, torsion ridgidity not as good as my last few cars. And finally the non-NAV radio controls/display are pitiful crap, LCD display looks like cheap crap. My goal right now is to drive my 07 TCH until March 08 and if I still love the car then I will get a 08 TCH loaded. Oh and avoid Port/distributor leather the SE Toyota Port leather is crap!
I came out of a TL-P (non s type) and I am very happy!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Considering TCH

I just picked - up my TCH this weekend and I am still wondering how it may perform in the mountains. After reading some of the feed back in this tread I really don't think this will be a problem.

One thing in our advantage is that the electric motor is not effected by the increase in alitude that the ICE (non-tubo) and will put out its full power until the batteries drop down. When you get to the top it should charge all the way down. ....... Rich