Consumption Screen - why time scale ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Consumption Screen - why time scale ?

Wondering why Toyota engineers chose to use a horizontal time scale on the consumption display - doesnt a distance scale make more sense (i.e. a distance vs mpg display rather than time vs. mpg).

Personally, I would prefer to know that I achieved 40 mpg over the last 2 miles rather than knowing 40 mpg over last 3 minutes.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Veracitorian Muser
Default Re: Consumption Screen - why time scale ?

I agree! A minutes/miles switch (screen button) would be great!

-- Alan

Old 08-24-2006, 12:24 PM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Consumption Screen - why time scale ?

I agree as to what I would like. However the average tank and the inststant FE gages are adequate for driving with max FE in mind. The consumption monitor is a "scorecard" of a different sort. My belief is that it was designed because the computer monitoring needed is based on fuel flow and fuel flow is a mass flowed over time and the monitor is a cheap way for them to allow us to watch the computer's progress. had the made it a functiojn over miles then another interface would have been required and like most bean counters they might have just dropped it. I'm glad they added it but it can confuse people that don't understand that one minute at 60 mph and 40 mpg only yields the same result as 2 minutes of 30 mph driving at 40 mpg. It's not intuitive.