Cost Survey

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast
Default Re: Cost Survey

No one should pay sticker on a new car. There are large commissions built in new cars which provide a good profit margin to the dealers even at "factory invoice" which is not the true dealer cost. Choose a dealer with a high BBB (Better Business Bureau) rating and in a lower economic area/suburb of a large city. They will work with you. Dealers have a harder time selling expensive/complicated hybrids in these areas as opposed to affluent areas where upper-mid class will gladly pay sticker. I live in So. Cal. and did manage to swing my TCH below MSRP... yeah I did some negotiating with a professional fleet manager -- not a salesperson. This is who you deal with at dealers. Dealers will try very hard to push the car at MSRP and make you buy the same day. Take your time... there is no line out the door for your car. Prepare yourself to walk away if you are pressured to buy at full price. I barely said a few words and they were willing to take $200 off sticker. Go for it. No one is too old or young enough to negotiate... in fact it keeps ya young!!!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

For those of you who live in or are willing to travel to the Baltimore/Washington DC area and are looking for a TCH, check the Carmax (Laural Toyota) website. As of this morning they had 12 in stock: all listed about $1100 off sticker. You pay what is quoted on the site. They don't play games.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had one of the earliest TCHs shipped. Due to demand, I paid MSRP, primarily because I was going up against other buyers who were offering OVER MSRP. However, I got quite a bit back on the flip side in terms of discounts on upgrades, service contracts etc.

For example, I paid Cost for my XM Radio, Mudguards, Body side moldings, Cargo net, with free install, plus a substantial discount on the warranty, Diamon-Fusion coating, interior coating.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Cost Survey

I ordered mine July and picked it up in August from Carmax in Laurel, Md. I paid list, which was the price on the website at that time. They could not keep them on the lot then. I am very happy with my jasper pearl TCH, and the full tax credit. I live in Maryland, and am disappointed that our state does not offer a tax credit , as some other states do.

Overeager

Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I paid sticker plus a $53 doc fee. No dealer or port installed options or fluff. Also got the 7 year 100,000 mile platinum extended warranty for $830 and will be eligible for the full tax credit.

Had deposits at three dealerships in two states beginning in
April and by mid July was getting worried that my loaded jasper pearl would not arrive by the end of Sept. By flying up to Chicago I avoided the Southeast Toyota $699 Toyoguard package and a $400 dealers doc fee.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

FYI, I just got $1,125 off the sticker price for mine. I gather that this is a pretty good price?

I could have got $1,500 off if the one on the lot was the color we wanted.

Last edited by abward; 11-14-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast

I paid $3000 under MSRP, the dealer stated it was $200 over their cost. It's loaded leather, nav. I felt very good about the deal!