Cruise Control Doesn't Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Cruise Control Doesn't Shut Off

I have a different cruise control issue than is discussed elsewhere.

When the cruise control is on and I apply the brakes, the car tends to accelerate as if it is going up a hill. I have to stomp down on the brake pedal for it to shut off.

The Toyota dealer said that a new brake design is the cause and the system is working as designed. I find this a little hard to believe.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Cruise Control Doesn't Shut Off

Originally Posted by lizwiz
I have a different cruise control issue than is discussed elsewhere.

When the cruise control is on and I apply the brakes, the car tends to accelerate as if it is going up a hill. I have to stomp down on the brake pedal for it to shut off.

The Toyota dealer said that a new brake design is the cause and the system is working as designed. I find this a little hard to believe.

Does anyone else have this problem?
No but 99.99% I just pull the CC Stem towards me to disengage. Saves those behind me seeing brake lights unnecessarily.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just a light tap of the brakes disengages my cruise control.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Copied notes from the duplicate thread (in the hope only one will "survive"):

Originally Posted by TomS
I don't think this cruise control was ever designed for the TCH. It is the standard cruise control used in other Camrys. It has problems with the CVT I think. It also probably interpreted light braking as a sign that it was going up a hill, as light braking does not actually apply the brakes, only the traction generator to slow down at first.
Originally Posted by Chumley
lizwiz,

My cruise control takes more brake pedal pressure to turn off than I'm used to. I find using the cruise control stalk to turn it off works best. TomS brought up a plausable reason, so maybe this is the way it works.

Brian

Old 04-29-2007, 07:47 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Mine shuts off with the pedal fairly normally, although I usually use the stalk as that means you are anticipating the traffic better

Sounds to me like it's just a brake pedal sensor adjustment issue. I believe there are actually multiple brake pedal switches for various purposes so a misadjustment might cause odd behaviour (ie car is slowed before cruise kicks off, causing acceleration).