Different Hybrid types fro different drivers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Different Hybrid types fro different drivers??

Watching another hybrid accelerate rather briskly today, I was wondering if the different hybrid designs would have advantages for different drivers.

To be more specific, would the Honda IMA system be better for the type of driver that just drives their hybrid just like a regular car and the Toyota system be better for those that are willing to drive a little differently to maximize the EV capabilities that Toyota's system has?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Different Hybrid types fro different drivers??

Originally Posted by BOFH
Watching another hybrid accelerate rather briskly today, I was wondering if the different hybrid designs would have advantages for different drivers.

To be more specific, would the Honda IMA system be better for the type of driver that just drives their hybrid just like a regular car and the Toyota system be better for those that are willing to drive a little differently to maximize the EV capabilities that Toyota's system has?
I quite happily drive my TCH like any other car I've owned and I'm perfectly happy with the fuel efficiency.

I think it presumptuous for anyone to assume that another car may or may not suit me better.

Last edited by Sooty; 10-27-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wasn't trying to be presumptuous about anyones driving style or choice of vehicles.

So let me rephrase my curiosity. From a pure FE standpoint what are the pros and cons of hybrid approaches between Toyota/Honda/??? with regard to driving style.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We see the best mpg result using Pulse&Glide technique at below 42 mph on TCH or other THS/HSD vehicle.
The engine on the Honda IMA system is always spinning, therefore there is very limited benefit from Pulse&Glide.

Ken@Japan

Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A common observation is the HCH often gets better mpg on long highway trips that the Prius. Conversely, the Prius tends to get better mpg in urban/suburban trips than the HCH.

I think that is the biggest difference between the two for someone who just drives the car. Beyond that, the Prius/TCH/FEH do yield better mpg if the driver takes advantage of the EV capabilities in low speed (under 40mph) situations. However, just driving in EV mode because you can doesn't always help - it takes some thought about the terrain, traffic, and traction battery SOC to get the most out of it. There are a number of threads on efficient driving techniques that make good reading.