View Poll Results: Do you use Engine Breaking?
Yes, all the time
0%
Yes, a lot of the time
7.50%
Yes, but mainly when on local roads
2.50%
Yes, but mainly on long descents (hills)
22.50%
Not that often, occassionally
27.50%
Never or hardly ever
40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use Engine Breaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you use Engine Breaking

talmy — Thanks for pointing out the typo in my post #7. I've corrected it! I think that the maximum regenerative braking that the TCH will provide is limited by the maximum charging current that Toyota is willing to put into the NiMH battery (due to longevity considerations). This being so, although coasting in 'B' is designed to give more regenerative braking than coasting in 'D,' if you press the accelerator while coasting in 'B' so as to put the car into a "neutral glide" (no regen. arrow towards the battery in the MFD), and simultaneously press the brake pedal in order to re-establish regen., you probably end up with less regen. than by simply braking gently in 'D.' I haven't tried to check this out myself, however!

Stan

Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by SPL
So, I would only use 'B' instead of 'D' when descending a steep slope if braking gently in 'D' isn't sufficient to keep the car at the desired speed.
100% agree.

The idea of running around in "B" for casual flat terrain driving seems so wasteful to me. "B" mode is about increasing the rate of kinetic energy conversion to something else (heat, regen'd electricity, etc). Regenerated energy is good, but the best energy is kinetic. Once you have it, cherish it! The last thing you want to do is let it go needlessly.

However, it you treat your kinetic energy like a penny found in a mud puddle stuck to a piece of gum near a pile of Dog "do", then casual use of "B" might be better in that case (ie you always first one to the red traffic light, or always using the accel or brake pedal at all times/no coasting).

Wise use of kinetic energy is the most important skill a fighter pilot can learn, same with a (hybrid) driver.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I use it for long down grades when I know I'll have to use the brakes and as a max regen braking when I know I'll have to stop.