Door Chime Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Door Chime Question?

I think we are having an issue with the door Chime. When you turn the car off and open the door most of the time the door will chime as if something is not quite right. For example the lights were left on, etc. I am not able to locate any problems.

Do you have any suggestions that would stop the chime if everything is turned off?

Thanks for any help!

Bill

Old 04-13-2009, 04:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Door Chime Question?

This is Toyota's bizarre "warning" system.
If you open the door before turning the car off, the car will beep until you close the door.
If you turn the car off before opening the door, it will be silent.
In any event, just get used to the chime...or be a bit patient before opening the door.
Apparently, the Gods at Toyota decided that they needed to warn you that the car was off and the door was open (huh?).
Worse still, is the car is training you to disregard a warning beep.
What if you got used to the beep and ignored it...but, in fact, it was something more serious, like leaving the key in the car, etc.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by HyCAMBill
I think we are having an issue with the door Chime. When you turn the car off and open the door most of the time the door will chime as if something is not quite right. For example the lights were left on, etc. I am not able to locate any problems.

Do you have any suggestions that would stop the chime if everything is turned off?

Thanks for any help!

Bill
Do you have a sunroof? I occasionally have left mine open, and get the beep when I go to leave the car. It took me a few minutes to realize that's what it was the first time it happened.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Veracitorian Muser

There is usually a message on display (center of the speedometer) saying what the problem is whenever the car chimes, but it only stays on for a few seconds. I can usually read it through the door window from the outside.

-- Alan

Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 AM

Not in my (nor, presumably, OP's) case.
The message screen doesn't indicate anything.
I guess Toyota wants you to know your car is off and the door is open...for what reason, I can not tell.

Last edited by haroldo; 04-13-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

I have had this same situation in my 2009 TCH. However, I found out it was doing this when I turned the car off and was in the process of opening the door at the same time. It does not happen when I turn off the car and wait a second before opening the door. I think it happens when the car doesn't have time to process the actions, car off, door opening.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:44 PM

It happens any time the door is opened before the car is turned off, not only when it occurs simultaneously.
You can open the door, no chime, wait a half an hour, but as soon as you turn it off, the bells go off. Bizarre and clearly a mistake on their part.

Last edited by haroldo; 04-13-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

HI All!

I think your right. I just tested it and it does not make a noise when the computer has time to shut the car off. I see that taking a couple of seconds.

I can report back if I found something different.

Thanks for finding it! BIll