Drafting for mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Banned
Default For the Record: CleanMPG Does not Endorse Drafting

Due to the recent articles on Hypermiling , much has been said about drafting big-rigs in the media. Frankly this has been overblown as a public safety hazard. By this, I mean (1) the tiny number of people that practice this, (2) the frequency by those who do. You can get killed just like you could being struck by lighting or a meteor, but it's more likely it will be something else.

I told the forum at The Tennessean I not only don't close draft on my work commute thru Dallas, the traffic is way too heavy to do it long enough to benefit, not to mention the more obvious fact it would be sucidial. On another occasion, I recently told another reporter the same and stressed that. The wake of an 18-wheeler is so big it's possible to be in view of the trucker and still benefit from the air his rig pushes aside.

For various reasons, some want to charactarize hypermilers as reckless drivers that frequently close draft 18-wheelers - public roadway enemy #1. For the record, CleanMPG is not endorsing this.