Is driving fast bad for the TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is driving fast bad for the TCH?

Is it in any way unhealthy for the TCH when you drive at 80-95 mph on the freeway?

Old 09-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is driving fast bad for the TCH?

Only if you go off the cliff...

I don't see how it would "harm" the TCH. I occasionally set the cruise at 80.. Did it today.. got a bit over 40mpg

Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

no... why would it?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KimikoPi
Is it in any way unhealthy for the TCH when you drive at 80-95 miles per hour on the freeway?
Yes. If it gets in an accident. And unhealthy for you too.

The Camry IMHO does not have the handling characteristics for safely driving at 85+. Especially with other traffic around where you need to be able to react swiftly.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Is it in any way unhealthy for the TCH when you drive at 80-95 miles per hour on the freeway?
The stock tires are the weakest part of the equation in your situation.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Yes. If it gets in an accident. And unhealthy for you too.

The Camry IMHO does not have the handling characteristics for safely driving at 85+. Especially with other traffic around where you need to be able to react swiftly.
You must be kidding, right? I've seen semis, buses, pickup trucks and SUVS doing 90+, try to tell them they are not safe and TCH could run circles around those. It's not a Porsche or Vette, but pretty much similar to most sedans available on the market today and not many of those come with VDIM or something similar either to help you stay out of trouble. The Michellins are standard factory tires from Honda Accord to Mercedes so I'm not sure what the problem with tires SJ has either, unless he happens to have Bridgestones . If anything the car is little soft for my liking, nothing stiffer springs and thicker roll bar wouldn't fix , but my problem is, there is no place to drive like that where I live. With the traffic worst ever and many states turning into police states with cop on every corner, it seems
any sports car is a total waste.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
cop on every corner, it seems
That's what the back 40 is for

Old 09-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Drove ours from Houston, TX to Jacksonville, FL last December. Most of that drive was 90+ with an occasional burst of triple digits (long straight away with NO traffic late at night). The car did fine, even with the crappy bridgestones on it.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
You must be kidding, right? I've seen semis, buses, pickup trucks and SUVS doing 90+, try to tell them they are not safe and TCH could run circles around those. It's not a Porsche or Vette, but pretty much similar to most sedans available on the market today and not many of those come with VDIM or something similar either to help you stay out of trouble. The Michellins are standard factory tires from Honda Accord to Mercedes so I'm not sure what the problem with tires SJ has either, unless he happens to have Bridgestones . If anything the car is little soft for my liking, nothing stiffer springs and thicker roll bar wouldn't fix , but my problem is, there is no place to drive like that where I live. With the traffic worst ever and many states turning into police states with cop on every corner, it seems
Where do you live? I've lived in Michigan (a pretty fast state) and Illinois. I also driven most everywhere else. I have never seen a semi or bus do 90+. In 21 years of driving.

As far as SUVs and pickup trucks. I have, but I rarely see them do 90. And the few who do are running for their darwin award. It is trivial to roll one of them on the expressway. Even if it is a Cayanne.

VDIM might keep you from a spin, but it doesn't make a car perform any better. That is up to the tires and suspension. The Camry (and most any other Toyota) is sprung like your dad's old Buick. A cushy ride. It was designed for a nice ride to the grocery store. Not autobahn driving. That is why the average age of a Camry buyer in the 50s.

With my previous car (1995 Chevy Impala SS). I did regularly do 90+. Sustained. But it had tires, brakes and a suspension to do it. The Camry floats around at high speed. And lane changes are scary.

The TCH is a great hypermiler vehicle. It is also a really nice comfortable car for those who just want to get from point A to point B on cruise control. If you want to drive fast, safely, the TCH (or even the SE) is just not a performance sedan. I love it for what it is. And I drive it accordingly.