Effects of Terrain (Region) on Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Effects of Terrain (Region) on Mileage

I was looking at the mileage database this morning. It makes me sick to see some of you getting well over 40 MPGs tank after tank. (okay - i am happy for you, but no matter how hard i try...)

I am curious about where most of you getting that kind of mileage live. Hilly or flat areas?

I live in a most flat area with small hills. My commute is a downhill about 15 or 20 miles one way. The only way I ever noticed it was downhill was by driving a hybrid. I consistently get over 40 mpg on the way in and 35 or so on the way home. Regardless of traffic.

So where do you 40 mpg'ers live? Can we find some consistency? What about the type of commute? Stop and go? Small town? City?

WHY CAN'T I DO BETTER THAN 38 MPG ON A TANK?????? (please take the shouting playfully)

And as long as we are on the subject of 'tanks'... I noticed many of you are squeezing 15 or 16 gallons into your tanks. Are you pulling into the station on 'E' with zero miles left to go?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Effects of Terrain (Region) on Mileage

Originally Posted by jayw_TCH
I was looking at the mileage database this morning. It makes me sick to see some of you getting well over 40 MPGs tank after tank. (okay - i am happy for you, but no matter how hard i try...)

I am curious about where most of you getting that kind of mileage live. Hilly or flat areas?

I live in a most flat area with small hills. My commute is a downhill about 15 or 20 miles one way. The only way I ever noticed it was downhill was by driving a hybrid. I consistently get over 40 mpg on the way in and 35 or so on the way home. Regardless of traffic.

So where do you 40 mpg'ers live? Can we find some consistency? What about the type of commute? Stop and go? Small town? City?

WHY CAN'T I DO BETTER THAN 38 MPG ON A TANK?????? (please take the shouting playfully)

And as long as we are on the subject of 'tanks'... I noticed many of you are squeezing 15 or 16 gallons into your tanks. Are you pulling into the station on 'E' with zero miles left to go?
Hey! Just be glad you arn't getting the 33 - 36 mpg range like myself.

I live in the north east, short commute, quite a few hills, many stops.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Driving in stealth mode

http://toporoute.com/

Use the above website to map out your route and see just how much elevation change you have. My 40 commute changes elevation by about 200 ft or so. I have made son significant driving habit changes but in the long run it is well worth it. Less stress, greater safety = happy life = happy family = happy coworkers!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Hey! Just be glad you arn't getting the 33 - 36 mpg range like myself.

I live in the north east, short commute, quite a few hills, many stops.
Would you rather a 5 mile daily commute @35 MPG or a 45 mile daily commute @45 MPG?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Driving in stealth mode

I think I'd choose the first. 10 miles a day = 50 week = 1.42 gallons a week = I fillup ever 12 weeks if you don't drive that vehicle anywhere else. Plus how much is you time worth that you are saving added on top?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by jayw_TCH
...I live in a most flat area with small hills. My commute is a downhill about 15 or 20 miles one way. The only way I ever noticed it was downhill was by driving a hybrid. I consistently get over 40 mpg on the way in and 35 or so on the way home. Regardless of traffic.

So where do you 40 mpg'ers live? Can we find some consistency? What about the type of commute? Stop and go? Small town? City? ...
If you have a choice of route, take the one with the most (up to a point) hills and valleys. A long downhill (or uphill) without some relief cannot use the electric assist as efficiently.

...Do this only if it has the same or fewer full stops on the route that can not be anticipated or avoided. Full stops are more of an FE hit that the grade changes.

.. Also, if you have a choice between a freeway longer route and shorter surface highway route with only a few stops, take the highway provided it will permit you to slow down without commuters, tailgaters and the associated freeway madness. A major problem on freeway commutes is that even if you open up a following distance for improved anticipated responses (see below), someone will switch lanes and fill it in.

Regarding stop and go, or even slow and accelerate .... learn to anticipate! Most people drive only relative to the car ahead. Learn to anticipate the actions of the car three or even four ahead, and gradually react to their actions before the cars between you to avoid stops or slowdowns.

BTW -- Commute details, 32 Mi one-way, 900 foot elevation change in Cascade foothills. Two-lane rural highway and suburban major streets with route selected for minimal full stops. Different routes for to-work and from-work based on route elevation profiles.

Last edited by FastMover; 06-03-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by coolshock1
http://toporoute.com/

Use the above website to map out your route and see just how much elevation change you have. My 40 commute changes elevation by about 200 ft or so. I have made son significant driving habit changes but in the long run it is well worth it. Less stress, greater safety = happy life = happy family = happy coworkers!!!
Dan, interesting link, but I can't seem to get it to work. Every time I click, it just zooms in closer. I read the help page. What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree completely with FastMover.

My daily commute in the Wash DC area includes some climbs that immediately follow gradual downhill runs. This allows me to run on EV for the downhill portions and recharge the battery on the uphill climbs. About 15 miles (and 40 minutes!) each way.

Rush hour here means I don't have to worry about irritating people because I'm driving too slowly...I think I average about 25 miles per hour on the DC Beltway and surrounding major roads.

I average close to 49 mpg during the week (unless it's wintertime)...it's the weekends that kill me with the short trips.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klynch
I agree completely with FastMover.

My daily commute in the Wash DC area includes some climbs that immediately follow gradual downhill runs. This allows me to run on EV for the downhill portions and recharge the battery on the uphill climbs. About 15 miles (and 40 minutes!) each way.

Rush hour here means I don't have to worry about irritating people because I'm driving too slowly...I think I average about 25 miles per hour on the DC Beltway and surrounding major roads.

I average close to 49 mpg during the week (unless it's wintertime)...it's the weekends that kill me with the short trips.
Thanks for the info. This is the kind of info I am curious about. You average 25 MPG and have a bunch of hills. = Better mileage.

I average between 50 and 60 and drive a mostly flat route. = worse mileage.

Does anyone else agree/disagree?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Driving in stealth mode

You have to zoom down to a close enough view then it will let you put you start and finish marks in. Also if your commute is far enough you will have to mark it out in sections.

Quick Reply: Effects of Terrain (Region) on Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands