Extended warranty - Truth or Dealer BS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Extended warranty - Truth or Dealer BS?

I took delivery of my TCH Wednesday night (love it so far). While going through the financing paperwork, he offers me the extended warranty and I politely decline. I follow-up my "no-thank you" with "I can purchase the extended warranty at anytime within the 3 years or 36K miles, right?"
(something I learned in this forum)

He says "Yes, but the price will be pro-rated because it will be a used car at that time and it will have to be inspected before an extended warranty will be issued"

He even went so far as to tell me that depending on the wear and tear on the car at the time of the "inspection", certain parts may have to be replaced at my own cost before they would issue an extended warranty.

I know people in this forum have purchased extended warranties from completely different dealers across the US...have you heard of this nonsense? If I were to purchase an extended warranty from a dealer across the US, I imagine it be honored at any Toyota dealer...right?

BTW...this was after he offered me a 7/75K warranty for $1495.00.

I laughed in his face.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Extended warranty - Truth or Dealer BS?

mda,

While purchasing our two company cars, the sales manager told use we could add the extended warranty at any time before the factory warranty ran out. There was NO mention of an "inspection". You might need to show where you have maintained the car (oil change records, etc.) but that would be it.

On another note, this dealer also furnishes a lifetime warranty on the engine and drive train (except hybrid parts) and does not have a problem with a person doing their own oil changes or other maintenance required. In fact, they encourage you to do your own if you do not use a Toyota dealer to do the work. They know you will pay attention, watch for problems and generally take better care than the kids at the "quickie" places.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

MAJOR BS Alert!
Give the guys at Midwest Superstore (see earlier posts on extended warranty) and they will talk you through the issues. The sell the genuine Toyota warranty for about half that price.

I just bought the Toyota Warranty from them for my 2.5 year old RAV4 with 35,000 miles. All they needed was the VIN and a credit card.

Run, don't walk, away from this dealer's warranty.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by mda1224
I took delivery of my TCH Wednesday night (love it so far). While going through the financing paperwork, he offers me the extended warranty and I politely decline. I follow-up my "no-thank you" with "I can purchase the extended warranty at anytime within the 3 years or 36K miles, right?"
(something I learned in this forum)

He says "Yes, but the price will be pro-rated because it will be a used car at that time and it will have to be inspected before an extended warranty will be issued"

He even went so far as to tell me that depending on the wear and tear on the car at the time of the "inspection", certain parts may have to be replaced at my own cost before they would issue an extended warranty.

I know people in this forum have purchased extended warranties from completely different dealers across the US...have you heard of this nonsense? If I were to purchase an extended warranty from a dealer across the US, I imagine it be honored at any Toyota dealer...right?

BTW...this was after he offered me a 7/75K warranty for $1495.00.

I laughed in his face.

Thanks
He's either a liar, an idiot, or both.
You should get a 100k/7yr for less than that. Any Toyota dealer in the country can sell it to you and you do not need dealer an inspection. Just do it before the warranty runs out. This is a TOYOTA warranty so any dealer can sell it.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:35 AM

Be sure that you only purchase a Toyota ExtraCare plan. If you do not see these words in your paperwork, you are purchasing a warranty not worth much more than the paper it is printed on. Some Toyota dealers may even make YOU pay for the repairs and get reimbursed from a non-Toyota plan (that is the dealership's right).

Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 50th Anniversary Camry
Be sure that you only purchase a Toyota ExtraCare plan. If you do not see these words in your paperwork, you are purchasing a warranty not worth much more than the paper it is printed on. Some Toyota dealers may even make YOU pay for the repairs and get reimbursed from a non-Toyota plan (that is the dealership's right).
Interesting...the pamphlet the dealer gave me looks quite generic and says "Vehicle Protection Plan" and at the bottom says "Fidelity Warranty Services".

Guess I'm glad I did not accept.

Thanks to all for responding.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I looked up the warranty on a 2008 Camry Hybrid.

Basic warranty - 3 yrs/36,000 miles
Drivetrain warranty - 5 yrs/60,000 miles
Hybrid Component - 8 yrs/100,000 miles.
I think that's 10 yrs/150,000 miles if you live in California.

I own a 2007 TCH and doubt I will keep it till 2010 or 2011. I'm a nut for new technology. Who knows whats next, lithium traction battery, direct electric motor drive!!

A note on the Hybrid Components. Toyota may have brought out their Prius for sale in 1997. I read toyota had a prototype up and running in 1995.

I'm saying, Toyota's Hybrid Technology is really well built not to give trouble.

Last edited by rburt07; 11-24-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

rburt,

I am also in a state in which I can take advantage of the 10yr/150000 battery warranty (NJ), which is something that also swayed my decision for declining the extended warranty.

I'll put that money away for a rainy day.