Feedback to Toyota about Nav and Phone Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Feedback to Toyota about Nav and Phone Lockout

Originally Posted by mayall
Although a workaround might be better than nothing, it is not the objective of this thread. I'm trying to make sure that Toyota understands that its customers are not pleased.

I'd guess that many people are not pleased with the lockout considering:
  • There are many pages on the Internet dedicated to overriding the lockout
  • People are willing to buy products to override the lockout
  • People will even cut wires in their car to override the lockout
If some of the energy that has gone into overriding the lockout was put towards making sure that Toyota knows we are not pleased, perhaps Toyota will change or improve their nav/phone system. I should point out that I might feel OK about the lockout if the basic operation of the nav/phone system was better designed and the voice navigation worked better.

Thanks,

Will Mayall

BTW. I also have a 2007 Prius. AFAIK, there is no known way to make a hybrid DVD since a 5.1 version never existed for this model.
Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Take note that they not only lock out the NAV & Phone,
they also hide the track info of the mp3 CD that is playing!
WHY?
The information screens are more of a distraction than anything else!
Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Ok, I'm 24 and have no issue driving and knowing when to use the NAV. The agreement clear's Toyota of any legal risk so there is little need to lock out the NAV. I tried the voice today and it was more distracting and took longer than if I just typed it in.
All excellent points, IMHO.

The song and station scroll on the main FM screens ONLY. They don't show anything except the frequency on AM. You also don't have the capability to push the MSG button to get more info about a song on an FM station while driving.

I've had great difficulty creating a hybrid DVD. I'm still experimenting with different burners and cd brands. But my impression is that Prius owners, as well as Lexus owners, would be able to use a hybrid DVD, because the NAV units are all made by Denso. In my failures so far, I've noticed that the entire radio/NAV functionality is controlled by that dvd. To the point that there is no power to the radio if the car can't read the dvd. The fact that I can't see cd tracks infuriates me.

I've also had terrible luck with voice activation. Even setting something as simple as "Home" has caused me trouble in the recent past.

As someone mentioned in another thread, even rental cars from Hertz will let you control their NeverLost Nav after agreeing that you won't do it while driving. Has Toyota been burned by this recently, that would cause them to "castrate" the dvd?

Old 04-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

As Toyota becomes more and more profitable, they become more and more conservative to protect that wealth.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Just a comment....
I had the TCH for 1.5 months. I have yet read the I AGREE screen!!
I've hit the button several time but never read it.

If I get in a wreck, can I hold Toyota liable for making the I AGREE button too easy to hit???

Old 04-02-2007, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just a comment....
I had the TCH for 1.5 months. I have yet read the I AGREE screen!!
I've hit the button several time but never read it.

If I get in a wreck, can I hold Toyota liable for making the I AGREE button too easy to hit???
Haha, I was telling my girlfriend about this thread yesterday and then when we were in the car she asked "what does the agree screen say?" and I replied "I don't know." So we read it the next time I started the car/NAV. And then she did me the favor of putting it in spanish...(she's Cuban)....that didn't help me....

Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I'm wondering if Toyota knows that the NAV system disables features when in motion.
Below is the reply I got from Toyota today. Notice the comment in RED

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We apologize about the concerns you have been experiencing with your 2007 Camry.

We are sorry to hear of your concerns with the Navagation system on your 2007 Camry, and apologize this aspect of the vehicle did not meet your expectations. If you feel you have a failed or broken component, we recommend contacting the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership <http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/dealers/index.html>. If there is a dealership we can contact for you, please let us know.

The CD will only display which CD and track is currently being played by pressing the text button.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm wondering if Toyota knows that the NAV system disables features when in motion.
Below is the reply I got from Toyota today. Notice the comment in RED

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We apologize about the concerns you have been experiencing with your 2007 Camry.

We are sorry to hear of your concerns with the Navagation system on your 2007 Camry, and apologize this aspect of the vehicle did not meet your expectations. If you feel you have a failed or broken component, we recommend contacting the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership <http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/dealers/index.html>. If there is a dealership we can contact for you, please let us know.

The CD will only display which CD and track is currently being played by pressing the text button.
That seems like typical large corporation customer support. They even tell you to call the dealer.