First Long Trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow First Long Trip

My wife and I took our first long trip in the TCH this last week. Drove from Redondo Beach (LA) up to Santa Cruz using Pacific Coast Highway and HWY 101.

Averaged 41.3 mpg for the trip which was good. I did notice that I did not get the mileage I normally get on flat roads traveling at 65 mph. One reason was that my wife insisted on having the A/C on and we had over 100 pounds of luggage.

At 70 mph, the mileage dropped to about 37 mpg.

There were lots of steep roads as well as roads which allowed EV mode.

Happy with the overall mileage but expected a little better on flat roads based on what I normally see on my commute to work.

Driving down the steep roads, the battery showed totally charged for the first time.

The NAV system was fantastic. Used it to find wineries, food and lodging using the override.

I wonder how senstive the car is to weight. Normally, I drive alone and with no A/C, no luggage.