First real-world mileage tests

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: First real-world mileage tests

With 151 miles on the car, my tank average is reading 38.4. It was up to 39.7, but then I did some street cruising that quickly dropped MPGs.

More early feedback. Long freeway hills can quickly drop the MPGs to the low-20s. Flat freeways at sub-65 MPH can easily net you 55-60 MPGs. You REALLY have to carefully manage your city driving (slow and light-footed) to get great numbers. Casual city driving puts me often below 30 MPG and quickly dinged my averages.

Temps have been around 70 degrees daytime, 60 nighttime. (Not sure if temp will matter as much with Toyota as with Honda.)

Old 05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: First real-world mileage tests

1st tank fill, I got 37.5 MPG in mixed city, suburban, highway driving. About 50% was highway and about 20% city. And I wasn't really doing anything special to get better mileage. I drove it pretty much the same as my old 2000 supercharged Pontiac Bonneville which averaged 22 MPG.

But the savings are nice. Switching from premium to regular gas and also getting approx 70% improvement in MPG. And 0 to 60 only about 1/2 sec slower.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:53 PM

So the 1st few hundred miles are rolling in at 37-38ish, with 'normal' driving.

For context vs the HAH- I get 37-39ish on a tank now. After 20k miles. Driving relatively gently but without the 'true' hypermiler techniques. And I have the highest still-contributing average in the HAH db.

Winner (no surprises here): TCH. You're matching me without even trying, on a virgin engine.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
So the 1st few hundred miles are rolling in at 37-38ish, with 'normal' driving.

For context vs the HAH- I get 37-39ish on a tank now. After 20k miles. Driving relatively gently but without the 'true' hypermiler techniques. And I have the highest still-contributing average in the HAH db.

Winner (no surprises here): TCH. You're matching me without even trying, on a virgin engine.
of course, the hah is a 6 cylinder with more horsepower and torque so the comparison isn't really apples to apples. you're getting good mileage on your hah.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Arrow Re: First real-world mileage tests

So far, on half a tank, my average is 37.5, same as yours. That seems to be the magic number.

I had a chance to do some in-city driving today, averaging 35-45 MPH, with stop lights. Y'all might have trouble believing this (as I did)... but... during 11 minutes of driving (about four miles) I got an average of 81.4 MPG. Later, I did five more minutes of 85.1 MPG. Who ever thought I'd be out-mileaging my former Insight around town???

Old 05-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

First tank: avg 38.7

Old 05-20-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by nbalthaser
of course, the hah is a 6 cylinder with more horsepower and torque so the comparison isn't really apples to apples. you're getting good mileage on your hah.
ahh, but it IS apples to apples in all aspects that any 'normal' comsumer cares about. They compete in the identical market segment in all trim levels.
Accord vs Camry...nuff said. (Few of us here qualify as 'normal' comsumers, by virtue of being here at all)

Honda has to pray that Camry doesn't capture too much extra attention before they get the 8th gen out- which should have the 4cyl available in hybrid trim.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
ahh, but it IS apples to apples in all aspects that any 'normal' comsumer cares about. They compete in the identical market segment in all trim levels.
Accord vs Camry...nuff said. (Few of us here qualify as 'normal' comsumers, by virtue of being here at all)

Honda has to pray that Camry doesn't capture too much extra attention before they get the 8th gen out- which should have the 4cyl available in hybrid trim.
perhaps you're right. but then one would have to look at the extra power that the v6 has over the 4. it's kind of not fair to compare the horsepower, torque and acceleration of the accord to the camry.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:48 PM
WVGasGuy

Purchased 5/5/06, current milage 2294, total 37.7 mpg.

Tonight I just got back from a 250 mile round trip and averaged 40.1mpg (computer showed 39.5). This is the same trip my wife took a few weeks back and averaged 36 mpg. Unfortunately her trip is in my totals or I would be over 38.

However she complained because I drove the speed limit and took longer than I used to. She'll get used to this. When she drove she drove 75 to 80 and did not let off the gas pedal on down grades to let the car "coast". She's getting the hang of it though.

I did run some numbers and found that the difference in 36mpg cruising (easy to do at higher speeds) and 38 mpg cruising (you have to drive with purpose for this) would only mean 1 gallon more used over a trip of around 700 miles. I haven't turned totally "green" yet, I'm just in this to save gas, so I probably will some day stop being obsessed with the ultimate number and go back to high speed 36 mpg cruising on trips and save the 39mpg tanks for around town and local driving when I'm not worried about cutting an hour or so off of my trip.

In the flats between Huntington and Charleston I was able to cruise on the interstate along with traffic and easily stay above 40 mpg, with the instant reading staying most of the time in the 50 to 60 range. However most of my trip today was in the long hills north of Charleston to Central WV on Interstate 79. I am very peased and confident now that I should NEVER see any thing less than 36. That's 20 better than my Infiniti.

I also make the trip to Mom's for $17, where as it was more like $40 with the premium fuel in my FX. That's gobb's better then the Ford Expedition (14.4) that we recently got rid of that was our "daily" driver.

Last edited by WVGasGuy; 05-27-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:29 PM

I drive 70-85 mph on the highway, but I do coast on downhills. With just 520 miles on the car before starting, I got 39.2 mpg highway driving from San Diego to LA and back, including a bunch of heavy stop-and-go within LA, according to the display. I think the display overestimates slightly though; it was 0.7 mpg high after my first tank.

Quick Reply: First real-world mileage tests

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands