Gas Tank/Bladder

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Gas Tank/Bladder

I've been told by an avid Prius owner that my tank like the Prius is a bladder in a tank design and for this reason I should stop filling when the pump stops the 1st time. Normally I can get abot 4 l or a gallon extra in.
Anyone heard of this?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:43 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Gas Tank/Bladder

I don't think the Camry HV has a bladder.
With my Prius, if I overfilled it it would gush back and spill onto the pavement as the overfilled bladder contracted. I don't have this issue with the Camry HV. I can fill it to the top with no spillage.
So either there is no bladder or they improved it to the point there is no spillage issues with it.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Same here... I top it off to the "rim" every time (until I can see the gas line through the opening, but obviously not a drop further than that, duh!) and have never experienced any overspillage yet.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is no bladder in Camry tank as far as I know. Also there is no "thermos" to keep the coolant warm longer either, like the one in Prius. As somebody already mentioned, the bladder sometimes had totally opposite effect of what it was designed for and instead of lowering the airborne hydrocarbon emissions, sometimes it was responsible for spilling the fuel all over the place.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Both the Camry and Highlander went to non-bladder designs. They are still PZEV. I don't remember the details of how the system works, but I think there is some kind of pump that runs the air in the tank through a filter before the gas filler can be opened.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:23 AM
HSD Organic Interface

One concern that is often mentioned in the Internet is that filling up your gas tank too high can result in liquid fuel entering the charcoal canister that is part of the evaporate control system. This of course is not good and can damage the system and cause excessively rich engine operation.

However, from what I've seen in the TCH repair manual, the charcoal canister has an overfill check valve that will seal off the charcoal canister if the tank is overfilled to prevent damage. What I have not been able to determine is that when the canister is sealed off due to overfill if the function of the evaporate control system is impaired in any way until the fuel level drops sufficiently.

My gut feel is that generally its probably a better idea not to fill the tank up the filler neck past the top of the tank where all this stuff operates even though it looks like the system protects itself from damage when this happens. They call it an "overfill" check valve for a reason. Not sure what benefit there is to squeezing every last drop of gas into the tank unless you are planning to drive thru hundreds of miles of wilderness where no gas stations exist. For measuring fuel economy, "super" filling might be slightly better way of determining the exact amount of fuel that is used, but regular filling over multiple tanks will average out the exact same.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

It seems to me if you fill it to the top there is very little space for anything to evaporate and be of any concern. Once you consume those extra few ounces the check valve opens and things are back to normal.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Hmm, maybe. Sounds to me like most people doing super fills are adding 1 or 2 gallons beyond full, not a few ounces. Most gas comes out of ground tanks which can be 20 to 40 degrees cooler than ambient air in the summer. Do a super fill then parking in the sun will no doubt put some pressure on. Hopefully the check valve will stay robust over the years...