Got stuck in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Got stuck in snow

Indiana has gotten about 6 inches, with layers of ice mixed in. Today, while pulling up into my driveway, I got stuck. I mean stuck. Couldn't turn the traction off, and although I was flooring it at moments (i was acting like a pissed little boy), the wheels weren't moving. I had to get a tow to pull me out. It was a real trip, and I drained the batteries pretty well in the process. Oh well, live, learn, and then park in the street.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got stuck in snow

You know, this very thing has me second guessing my purchase. Poughkeepsie, NY just got about a foot of snow and my Ranger (4x2) made around with ZERO problems. Even where I needed to point blank spin the tires to move.

I am starting to worry that I will be taking a huge hit by going to the TCH, even compared to my 4x2. I do not want to be getting stuck every time it snows just a little and the place isn't fully clean. I just simply do not get stopped by snow. Even in today's blizzard I went out to have a V-day dinner.

It really sounds like this traction control stuff point blank sucks and absolutely not worth it if you know how to handle a car on ice and know how to handle a car in the snow. Please please tell me I'm wrong! I have a TON of experience driving in snow conditions where the roads are NOT plowed and do not need a car that is a serious limiting factor.

Phew....

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 02-14-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Malcontent

A few people on priuschat have been complaining about the same thing. I suspect the Camry is much more capable in the snow though.

Do you have the Bridgestone or Michelin OEM tires?

I haven't had any trouble and we've had quite a bit of snow around here. I've intentionally set the traction control off on several occasions but didn't get stuck.

I do have snow tires though. And a shovel which I haven't had to use yet.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've got Bridgestones. Squint, are you saying that there is a way to turn the TRAC off on the TCH? Our 02, Camry has that option, and it really saves the day when you get stuck.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Malcontent

The Bridgestones are said to be better than the Michelins in snow. I also have the Bridgestones but only drove in the snow a few times before my snow tires arrived.

With the Prius, there is a test mode where traction control is disabled but it is a somewhat tedious process and traction control only remains disabled until the car powers down. I'm not sure if stability control is also affected.

I assume there would be something similar for the TCH.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:52 AM

You could always invest in a set of dedicated snows and that way you can also get the best "dry/wet" weatehr tire for the remaining month (main set). That is what I've done with all my cars, and snow is not problem.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 AM
SPL

kris — We've had over 6 inches of snow here recently, and I've had no problem requiring being towed or pushed as yet, even up the slight incline to my garage. Have you tried being very gentle on the accelerator, so as not to provoke much wheel slippage? This seems to have worked for me so far. By the way, I have the Michelins.

Stan

Old 02-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

A point to remember is many of us have overinflated our tires for better mpg. I wonder if that's contributing at all to those who have gotten stuck or are having issues with handling in snow.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:30 AM

Overinflated tires could cause problems in snow, but it's great in the dry and wet conditions. Regardless, a non-snow tire isn't going to do well in the stuff we had over the last week.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

SPL stated the fact - be gentle on the accelerator and the TCH will be nice to you. I live in NYC where the authorities claim to have "understimated" the snow and had too few trucks out. I have had no problems handling in the snow and I have the "overinflated (36 psi) Michelins.

Quick Reply: Got stuck in snow

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands