Hey NAV users, look what I found

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hey NAV users, look what I found

I can confirm that you can make a "hybrid" DVD that has the 5.1 override capability AND the updated map files. The instructions are posted at clublexus.com in the forums. It is tricky and you need to be able to burn a DL DVD disk. I had trouble doing it and needed someone to help me b/c my disks were not working. I am not an expert, but will confirm that it works.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Dazed and Confused

Can you "down grade" from 6.1 to 5.1?

Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks spam2000. That sounds good I will try it if I get my hands on the 6.1 disk. I still think I would prefer to keep my 5.1 just in case I can't get it working. Maybe what I will do is try making a copy of my 5.1 and see if it works in my car. Then I can keep the copy and if Toyota is requesting the 5.1 in return for the 6.1 I will be set.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

This does appear to be a great find. I seem to have just that problem, sometimes it shows my position being about 100 meters to the side of the road I'm traveling on.

Now does anyone know if this TSB was also issued in Canada and is this "upgrade" available to Canadian owners.

TIA

Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk110
we are a paranoid bunch aren't we (me included!) - a good amount of us are willing to live with non-updated maps for the override (nobody has yet found the new one on 6.X???), and I think we will hold off on this as well till someone has the guts to try, and report that the override still works...
paranoid bunch ???? More like survival instinct and bad past experiences. I couldn't count how many self serving upgrades I went thru, totally useles for me and often lowering usability of the product purchased. Loosing overide would be a classic example of such experience and I would have to be retarded to actually go along with that without a fight. Actually I have a feeling a lot of people are doing upgrades for the sake of upgrading even if it's actually a downgrade.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Just because you realize you're paranoid - doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get you!

Say... Where did that black helicopter go????

Frankly - I'm a NAV 6.1 owner that would like to downgrade... As I was driving yesterday and needed to make a call, I tried in vain to make the phone's number buttons on the NAV screen register that I was pushing them and got not a beep or whistle that they were disabled. They were even fully lit-up!.
So - what did I do? I pulled my Treo 700P cell phone out of my pocket and pulled up the dial screen and dialed the number and completed the call via Bluetooth..

Now - all that fumbling around for the phone - think about it - it would have been FAR safer for me to just have access to the bloody buttons on the NAV screen wouldn't it?

Toyota - are you listening???

Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Just because you realize you're paranoid - doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get you!

Say... Where did that black helicopter go????

Now - all that fumbling around for the phone - think about it - it would have been FAR safer for me to just have access to the bloody buttons on the NAV screen wouldn't it?

Toyota - are you listening???
You're correct. However, if you go off the road because you were fumbling with the touchscreen on the NAV display then you may turn around and sue Toyota. But if you made the decision to play with your cell phone then it's your fault.

So it's not a matter of what's safer, it's the old CYA game.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I dont get it. Why dont you guys use the voice recognition function of your TCH? If you already know the number you can dial by number. If you know the address, you can enter the address via voice recognition. If you just want to browse the locations in the dvd, well, you're better off pulling over and using it that way anyway.

I come from driving a 2003 Acura TL-S and the nav didn't lock anything out, so it can be used while in motion. I do miss that "feature" but I can live without it, especially if you can voice prompt it instead.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:55 PM

Voice recognition software has a long way to go before it becomes little more than curiosity and I'm not talking about Denso system in particular, but in general, even using much more powerful computers. As far as using navigation system while driving: first of all any meaningful trip into some far away places, where GPS is most useful chances are you would have passenger/navigator as well, also even driving alone it can be done safely if done properly. Some people are much better at multitasking and common sense than others, but of course we only hear about those who are not

Old 11-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

Yeah, I wanted to call my wife as I entered the nieghborhood to let her know I was almost home, and by the time the voice recognition had four of the ten numbers I was in the driveway. The voice reconition sucks!

Also, if I drive off the road while typing away on the nav screen it is still my fault. Heck, if I drive off the road because I had to fumble around to get my phone out and dial it because Toyota disabled a safety feature, I might sue them. It is much safer to type the number in on a large screen with large buttons than fumble around for the phone and dial using the small buttons.

But my biggest gripe is, my wife and I are looking for property. We are spending our weekends driving around looking for addresses we have no idea where they are. We just put an address in the nav and go there, but my wife can't input an address unless we are stoped. That is dumb, if she is there, it is perfectly safe for her to work the nav while I drive. If we want to find a resturant by name, we have to pull over and input the name when stoped. Again, dumb.

If you are going to disable it for safety, disable all buttons, as I can cause just as much of a hazard switching from map to the fuel economy screen as I can doing other functions.

I want 5.1 in my 6.1 car.

Quick Reply: Hey NAV users, look what I found

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands