High-pitched squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default High-pitched squeal

I get a high-pitched squeal from my brakes when I'm backing out of my garage. It only happens then so I don't know if it's only when I'm in reverse, only at low speed, only when cold, etc.

Has anyone else experience this?

Old 07-17-2006, 06:38 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: High-pitched squeal

I noticed this too. I'm still trying to decide if the reason it's noticeable is because it's in a garage which echos the noise and the engine is not running as I've not noticed it anywhere else.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:43 AM

I only notice it when pulling out of the garage, so it's in reverse. However, I still notice it after the car is out of the garage until it comes to a full stop.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:02 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I only notice it when pulling out of the garage, so it's in reverse. However, I still notice it after the car is out of the garage until it comes to a full stop.
I don't hear it on mine. But it sounds like you haven't done any high speed full panic stops yet. Take it out on a back road, get it up to 60, and then hit the brake pedal as hard as you can(make sure no one is behind you ). Repeat that a couple more times. The squeal should then be gone. The brake pads just need to get their glaze worn off. With the TCH regen brake system, you probably haven't really broken in your brake pads leading to the squeal.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by TKCamry
I don't hear it on mine. But it sounds like you haven't done any high speed full panic stops yet. Take it out on a back road, get it up to 60, and then hit the brake pedal as hard as you can(make sure no one is behind you ). Repeat that a couple more times. The squeal should then be gone. The brake pads just need to get their glaze worn off. With the TCH regen brake system, you probably haven't really broken in your brake pads leading to the squeal.
But I would hate to lose all that kinetic energy as heat.

Actually you're right. I only have 1000 miles on it, have not had any emergencies and have been coasting more and braking gentler than any other car I've owned. I'll give it a shot.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Convert

Originally Posted by Orcrone
But I would hate to lose all that kinetic energy as heat.

Actually you're right. I only have 1000 miles on it, have not had any emergencies and have been coasting more and braking gentler than any other car I've owned. I'll give it a shot.
I have 4500 miles on mine and I still hear the high-pitched squeal. I'll mention it when I go in for my first service check-up.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:15 PM

It's beginning to sound like an undocumented feature.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:33 PM
WVGasGuy

Possibly your rotors got wet?

Old 07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

I remember reading about this on the Edmunds forum a couple of months ago. Not even sure is it is TCH related or all Camrys. Seems it was determined by the posters as a normal thing. All reported when backing out of the garage.

I think it had something to do with the anti-lock brack system being activated by the computer.

Check it out!

Old 07-17-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by gandyfire
I remember reading about this on the Edmunds forum a couple of months ago. Not even sure is it is TCH related or all Camrys. Seems it was determined by the posters as a normal thing. All reported when backing out of the garage.

I think it had something to do with the anti-lock brack system being activated by the computer.

Check it out!
I think you might be thinking of the "clunk" rather than a squeal.

For those that hear the squeal, are you sure it isn't the regenerative braking "whine"? This is the only thing I have heard that might be thought of as a squeal, but I have heard this when driving down the road - not in the garage. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: High-pitched squeal

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands