How I got 57.4 MPG in my Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow How I got 57.4 MPG in my Camry Hybrid

I was out-and-about the other day when it came time to fill my TCH with its SECOND tank of gas. So, I thought that I'd see what kind of mileage might be possible IF I were really mindful about it.

For the next 45 miles, I drove like a mother hen sitting on her prized egg, and using every hybrid trick I'd learned during the past two years.

The result?

57.4 MPG during 45 miles of combo city/freeway driving, average speed 38 MPH, temperature 70 degrees, tires at 46/44 PSI.

My best-so-far trick to getting great MPGs with the TCH *seems* to be accelerating moderately quickly to the optimal cruising speed (38ish MPH) with gas motor assist (ICE), then quickly release the power pedal to allow the gas motor to shut down, and as soon as you see the instantaneous mileage gauge zoom past 60, feather touch the power pedal to maintain pure battery cruising. Using this technique, I achieved 7 minutes of 99.9 MPG (maximum for NAV readout?), and 16- and 22-minute trip segments exceeding 80 MPG each.

By the way, my first tank average was "only" 36.2 MPG, due to a lot of mountain driving up to 5,000 feet elevation. I won't be driving the TCH in a fanatical manner most of the time, but interested to find out its potential, and to share easy-to-implement tips for good MPGs with y'all.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 05-27-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Prius geek
Default Re: How I got 57.4 MPG in my Camry Hybrid

Glad to hear pulse and glide works in the new HSD as it does in the Prius (dare I say the "old" HSD!). The hybrid Camry sounds like an awesome car, in ALL respects. HSD will continue to improve and evolve. Keep up the great posts...reminds me when, just 2 short years ago, I was in the new-car seat...now waiting for '09 lithium/plug-in Prius.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Arrow Re: How I got 57.4 MPG in my Camry Hybrid

Finman, I hope some "old" Prius owners will add some mileage tips for new Camry Hybrid owners. I came from an Insight, so even for me, I'm having to unlearn Honda hybrid driving habits and figure out what are the Toyota mileage tickle techniques.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: How I got 57.4 MPG in my Camry Hybrid

How many miles did you get on one tank of gas?

Old 06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Prius geek

You're close with the pulse and glide...accellerate quickly up to and just past the speed limit, let up completely on the pedal, then ever-so-slightly depress the pedal until there are NO ARROWS. This means no energy is being used from the battery to "EV cruise" as you say...plus no regen holding you back.

HSD really free coasts like this very nicely. My Prius has only got better at this with 40,000 + miles and well-worn tires...as well as driver experience! I can now tell when the electric motors "let go" and the car is free from any drag due to regen or EV mode. Does that make sense?

I find it absolutely amazing that I can free coast like this, keeping up with traffic on a level to slightly downhill 40 MPH street. Pretty cool!

Cheers,

Curt.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Nicely done!

Old 06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Arrow Re: How I got 57.4 MPG in my Camry Hybrid

Thanks, Lakedude. Is the Camry a *real* hybrid now???

Old 06-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Has any TCH owner had much success getting the "Glide" portion of Pulse and Glide?
No matter how hard I try to "feather touch" or "feather release" the gas pedal, the battery always seems to be involved...either powering the wheels or recharging.

I have occassionally...very very briefly...seen it go into the "no arrows" mode, but it lasts only a second or two.

Either gliding isn't as easy on the Camry Hybrid or there is much more technique to it than I have seen printed.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
WVGasGuy

Has any TCH owner had much success getting the "Glide" portion of Pulse and Glide?

I've seen it a few times but I don't see how anything with tires contacting asphalt or concrete can "glide" and not lose speed without the battery boost. Perhaps downhill but on level, no way? Momentum will only take you so far even without the regen restriction not being applied.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't see how anything with tires contacting asphalt or concrete can "glide" and not lose speed without the battery boost.

The concept of gliding _does_ including losing speed. Pulse & Glide involves bringing the speed up to 40 mph then letting it glide and slow down to around 30mph. Then you repeat the process.

For anyone else who missed the article about Pulse and Glide, here it is again:

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...seandglide.htm

Quick Reply: How I got 57.4 MPG in my Camry Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands