Hybrid Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Newbie

Originally Posted by g.theory
Thank you guys for all the help, but I have one more last question. I have read all your tips and tricks, and I swear I'm following them. HOWEVER, I don't see a significant change though. My drive to work is literally 3 miles away (with traffic, 15 min. w/o traffic is 10 min). I thought having a hybrid benefits you more in city driving (lots of stopping)? So, am I missing something here. Or does it boil down to the battery not warming up again?

OOOH! Did I just answer my question?
3 miles is not long enough for the engine to warm up (not the battery).

3 miles on your old car would net worse mileage than the Camry Hybrid.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
You won't be able to appreciate a hybrid's full benefit with three mile drives, sorry.
My experience is we got very good benefit on short drives in winter.
My Prius mileage is about 15km/L(35MPG), however my previous car was 1994 Honda Accord Wagon 2.2L and got only 6km/L(14MPG) on the same situation.
We see 2.5 times improvement and are very happy about that.

Ken@Japan

Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by g.theory
Thank you guys for all the help, but I have one more last question. I have read all your tips and tricks, and I swear I'm following them. HOWEVER, I don't see a significant change though. My drive to work is literally 3 miles away (with traffic, 15 min. w/o traffic is 10 min). I thought having a hybrid benefits you more in city driving (lots of stopping)? So, am I missing something here. Or does it boil down to the battery not warming up again?

OOOH! Did I just answer my question?
I have the same type of commute. I have also had a very hard time getting great mileage (especially in the winter -- about 25 - 28mpg). In the summer I average about 33 - 36.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Fabulous in Green

Ok, so today. I drove to about 15 miles away from my house and it's mostly highway. I definitely saw an improvement. I'm loving it! I was averaging around 15 MPG on my Murano, the Camry was doing 23. Hey, 8 MPG is 8 MPG! I'm happy! And I definitely took advantage of the cruise control. It stayed on ECO for a good 5 min until this S-A-M-F (profanity) cut me off! BUT, i kept my composure. I was in ECO driving mode, so I was in an ECO mood.

Definitely looking forward for the warm weather. Whenever that is

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by ken1784
You won't be able to appreciate a hybrid's full benefit with three mile drives, sorry.
My experience is we got very good benefit on short drives in winter.
My Prius mileage is about 15km/L(35MPG), however my previous car was 1994 Honda Accord Wagon 2.2L and got only 6km/L(14MPG) on the same situation.
We see 2.5 times improvement...
Sure, you'll get a benefit over a traditional vehicle.
I was referring to getting the full benefit of having a hybrid.

Last edited by haroldo; 02-24-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Sure, you'll get a benefit over a traditional vehicle.
I was referring to getting the full benefit of having a hybrid.
um...
I would like to say any vehicles can't get full rated EPA mileage with three mile drives.

Ken@Japan

Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 AM

um...
I would like to say any vehicles can't get full rated EPA mileage with three mile drives.

Ken@Japan
I think that's what he meant. He said you can't get the full benefit of a hybrid in 3 miles. You'll get a benefit over a traditional vehicle like you've shown but not the maximum difference.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:55 PM

From his original post...
My feeling was he wrote a hybrid vehicle can't get better mileage than a conventional vehicle with three mile drives.
But, I was wrong....
Thank you,

Ken@Japan

Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 AM

Okay, not that this has been settled...back we can get back on topic. Now, what was the topic???

Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Fabulous in Green

From his original post...
My feeling was he wrote a hybrid vehicle can't get better mileage than a conventional vehicle with three mile drives.
But, I was wrong....
Thank you,

Ken@Japan
I figured it out. On my 10-15 minute, 3 mile drive to work, I found some ways and techniques to maintain a good 22-25 MPG. That's good for me. I read all your posts, and I agree. A 3-mile drive will not give me 38-40 MPG. The engine is probably not even warm enough yet

Anyhoo, like I said, I pulsed and glide'd myself to work today and I maintained the 25 I got from yesterday when I was driving in the highway. I just can't wait for the summer where I can really do long drives though.

So like Haroldo said, let's get back to the topic LOL Any other tips and tricks, I would be forever greatful!

Quick Reply: Hybrid Newbie

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands