Hybrid Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Fabulous in Green
Question Hybrid Newbie

So, I finally took the plunge. I went from a 4Runner, Murano and now a Camry Hybrid. I couldn't be more happier! I absolutely love it. HOWEVER, as I'm typing this, we're having the worst winter yet here in Jersey (East Coast for that matter), and I've been noticing a couple of things. I suppose I can go through the threads, but I figured this would be a lot easier.

1. When I'm on park, the engines revs sporadically. You can see the needle going from ECO to Zero and then back. I would say every minute nor 5 min. It just happens. Why is that?

2. When I got it from the dealer, when I pull out up to 30-40 mph, the battery would run the car, but the next day, I noticed that when I pulled out of the driveway, it's the engines that's doing it. Is the weather to blame as well? It was 30 degrees that morning.

3. In order for me to get an accurate reading of my average MPG, would I check the the little display in front of me where it says Avg MPG or the trip information screen where you can check your consumption. Because right now, the multifunction screen shows 23 MPG and the information screen display 19.7.

I'm just a confused new owner. I hope you guys can answer my questions.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Newbie

A lot of questions are answered in the quick FAQ, that is part of my signature. This might help https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/159244-post3.html

Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by g.theory
1. When I'm on park, the engines revs sporadically. You can see the needle going from ECO to Zero and then back. I would say every minute nor 5 min. It just happens. Why is that?
Warming up is one thing. Charging the battery is another. There are a few reasons why the ICE (engine) will kick in. Since it is winter, probably warming up -- keeping the coolant at a certain temp and/or keeping your cabin warm if you have the heat on.

Design: Usability analysis (for ease of use), UEX, IA, UI
Business skills: negotiation, contract management, cross-cultural communications (with non-IBM, non-US partners)...
Project/team leadership: “Personal PM” skills but not necessarily working formally as a certified PM
Tools development: to support process efficiencies
Strong product knowledge: for advocacy, design...
Individuals need to develop more than one skill – secondary skills
I find they average out in the end but I generally take both and average them if they are different. That is what I put in my tank tracking on this site....although I got lazy and forgot to track tanks from about 3,000 miles to 7,000 miles...oops....

....we're having the worst winter yet here in Jersey (East Coast for that matter)...
Ha! I guess this is bad for this area? ?? !! ....nothing compared to western/central NY...

I am at work right now -- the ONLY one in the office as all others are at home because there was 1.5" on the ground and another 5" coming....

Midnight -- the black beauty (my car) did well....as always! She keeps me warm and safe.

How's the Gray Lady Larry? hehe....

sorry for the off topic post...the FAQ has a bunch of those answers.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 02-22-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Fabulous in Green

I actually saw your post. I love it! It's VERY informative! And you own a Camry too, so I guess be ready -- when I have questions, I'll just go to you directly.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by haroldo
A lot of questions are answered in the quick FAQ, that is part of my signature. This might help https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/159244-post3.html

Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM

I actually saw your post. I love it! It's VERY informative! And you own a Camry too, so I guess be ready -- when I have questions, I'll just go to you directly.

Thanks again!
Ahh! So all that work wasn't for naught! I'm not an expert, just a new owner (11/2007) who asked a ton of questions. It's best to ask your questions in the forum, so others can learn from the Q and A.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
How's the Gray Lady Larry? hehe...
I saw other car owner's had nicknames for their cars, so I kind of liked this one.

I mean, the car aint a sexy young model (like the Lexus SC)

Rather it's more like a a fine, sophisticated mature woman,

ergo the name.

Last edited by haroldo; 02-22-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Fabulous in Green

OMG! I've always named my cars. Mine right now is Cameron. I chose the name because I felt like my car is androgynous. And btw ... mine is the exact color. LOVES IT!!

Originally Posted by haroldo
I saw other car owner's had nicknames for their cars, so I kind of liked this one.

I mean, the car aint a sexy young model (like the Lexus SC)

Rather it's more like a a fine, sophisticated mature woman,

ergo the name.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Sounds like a topic for a new thread...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ame-why-17165/

Last edited by haroldo; 02-22-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Fabulous in Green

Thank you guys for all the help, but I have one more last question. I have read all your tips and tricks, and I swear I'm following them. HOWEVER, I don't see a significant change though. My drive to work is literally 3 miles away (with traffic, 15 min. w/o traffic is 10 min). I thought having a hybrid benefits you more in city driving (lots of stopping)? So, am I missing something here. Or does it boil down to the battery not warming up again?

OOOH! Did I just answer my question?

Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 AM

You won't be able to appreciate a hybrid's full benefit with three mile drives, sorry.
Most of the folks who get great mileage have longer commutes.
In addition, a new car, especially one in our part of the country (my area of Jersey is somewhat hilly) and this time of year (engine needs to warm up to achieve stage 4...see the FAQ for links, I still don't fully understand it) is bound to give good, but not great mileage.
Let the car go on a longer flat ride in the spring or summer and you'll see a difference.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Newbie

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands