if your coolant goes down - read this

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default if your coolant goes down - read this

if you own 07 plus TCH and your coolant un-explainably keeps going down, without any puddles under the car, look at this. this TCH has only 52 000 miles. said to be a notorious issue:

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

water pump.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...97/index2.html

i am not surprised. they have something like engine dampener bolted to the housing. unless it's not water pump, but somehow i doubt it is not. so, there's quite a bit of torque on that housing. and it's gunked to the engine head, no gasket. no, no no. i'm done. Hondas it is.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: if your coolant goes down - read this

I have a 2007 TCH. After about 40,000 miles (odometer reading from 56k to 97k) and 18 months, my engine coolant level went down 7/8 of the way to the low mark from the full mark in the engine coolant reservoir. At first I thought my pump was leaking too, but I could not find any leaks.

Some of the mechanics I know told me I should expect the coolant level to drop because it evaporates. They told me to just add Toyota Super Long Life Coolant once in while if I do my own car maintenance, since I would not have the benefit of a mechanic topping it off.

Sorry to hear your problem. If I had to buy a car today, I would buy a Honda as well. However, I plan to keep my TCH until it reaches 300,000 miles. I like the challenge of maintaining a hybrid for that long. In addition, I really like the fuel economy on my vehicle (dashboard fuel economy = 41-45 mpg), and how quiet the car is. I also feel really safe in the vehicle, given how well it handles on the road.

With that said, I do have some issues with this car. The cabin rattles too much. In addition, the brakes sometimes squeal a little when I back up (yes, I know about the TSB, but my brakes aren't prematurely worn.). Finally, some members on here are complaining about leaking struts and water pumps.

So I see and sympathize with your disappointment.

Last edited by johnywest; 01-10-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

I think you can get it replaced under the 5yr/60,000 mile warranty.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Honda's hybrid system lasted 2 years for me and then stopped functioning properly. There is a known issue with their system - just take a look in the Honda forum. Honda refuses to correct the issue under warranty. The TCH is a much better and more comfortable vehicle. And mine has been more reliable. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...

Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ppgroup
Honda's hybrid system lasted 2 years for me and then stopped functioning properly. There is a known issue with their system - just take a look in the Honda forum. Honda refuses to correct the issue under warranty. The TCH is a much better and more comfortable vehicle. And mine has been more reliable. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...

I was talking about buying a regular gasoline 4-cylinder Honda or Acura--I'm not a big fan of any car that has more than 4 cylinders. I am aware of Honda's Hybrid problems. I think their hybrid (traction) battery is faulty. I would not buy a Honda Hybrid. Toyota seems to have a clear lead in this technology.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just unloaded my 2008 Accord (4 cylinder non hybrid) that I purchased new.

- Brake issues. They on about rev 5 of brake pads and clips to resolve issues. The factory installed the caliper slide bolts backwards (top to bottom).
- Oil pump needed replacement. Sounds like a turbo spinning up. Tear down the low end of engine to resolve.
- Lights flicker when AC compressor or cooling fan cycles. People on the road think that you are flashing your lights at them, potential road rage issue.
- Headrest gets stuck in forward position. Very uncomfortable when you can't sit back in your seat. It is designed to react to body weight during a crash to move forward. Poor design results in it moving forward with normal body weight in seat and sticking in the forward position.
- Rattle in rear package rack. Very annoying.
- Heater whistling noise, they failed to seal the air plenum correctly.

So good luck with your Honda! All cars have issues.

Last edited by dg370; 01-12-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added text