Importing a Camry

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Importing a Camry

Originally Posted by beng
Yes, there are some benefits to trying to import a TCH. . . . But from what I have found so far, it looks like to only thing that must be added or activated on the TCH is the daytime running lights in order to be able to import the vehicle into Canada. So... has anyone figured out how to turn on the daytime running lights? The iguide shows that the DRL is a setting on the light stalk (might be on the XLE only). Is it the same with hybrid?

Thanks
As Kevin said, the DRL is standard on all US '07 Camry's and can be turned off by the Light Control/Turn Signal switch.

Now, the question comes up: Can you simply replace the US switch w/ a Canadian switch to be Canada legal? I don't have a tech manual that in depth, so I can't answer the question. If it could be done, that may be less expensive than having a shop rewire your lighting system.

As to shifting from US to Metric measurements, I don't believe that is an option (without changing out the electronics).

Old 06-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, there are some benefits to trying to import a TCH. A working integrated NAV is high on my list, as is the TMPS even though it does not display a digital reading. So far the only real disadvantage is the fact that the speedometer and odometer will be in miles vs KM. I'm not sure how expensive it would be or even if it is possible to have the instruments changed to display KM's. But from what I have found so far, it looks like to only thing that must be added or activated on the TCH is the daytime running lights inorder to be able to import the vehicle into Canada. So... has anyone figured out how to turn on the daytime running lights? The iguide shows that the DRL is a setting on the light stalk (might be on the XLE only). Is it the same with hybrid?

Thanks
Having that DRL OFF switch makes it easier to import a TCH with regards to DRL. Since the DRL is already there, we just need to "cut" the wire that sends the signal for the DRL OFF position. IOW, change the DRL OFF position so that it functions as "OFF" in the Canadian market. That'll save you time and money by not having to switch stalks.

shouldn't be a problem with the speedo since there are km/h readouts... just a bit smaller than usual heh.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:23 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by JHSmith

As to shifting from US to Metric measurements, I don't believe that is an option (without changing out the electronics).
I believe I read in the repair guide that the instrument cluster itself is responsible for performing any calculations related to the MFD and gauge readings. So I think if you really want to, plugging in a Canadian instrument panel will correctly interpret input from the vehicle's ECU, which probably operates in metric to begin with.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Droid13
I believe I read in the repair guide that the instrument cluster itself is responsible for performing any calculations related to the MFD and gauge readings. So I think if you really want to, plugging in a Canadian instrument panel will correctly interpret input from the vehicle's ECU, which probably operates in metric to begin with.
but the MFD will still reading in MPG instead of L/100km?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:53 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
but the MFD will still reading in MPG instead of L/100km?
No, it would read L/100km. From what I understand the data inputs to the instrument panel are the same for the US and Canadian versions. In other words, the IP is not a dumb display simply showing what it is told to show. It receives raw data and does the calculations to determine what to display.The US IP calculates speed, instant FE, tank average, temperature and other MFD displays in US measurements. The Canadian IP calculates and displays in metric based on the exact same raw data.

I think the raw data is actually already in metric and its the US IP that has to do conversion. There was an example a while ago over the fact the the US model when displaying temperature on the MFD will skip certain whole numbers because the temp data is already in metric and the conversion to F causes rounding resulting in temps going like 56, 57, 58, 60, 61, etc or something like that. The Canadian IP will show each number because the data it receives is already metric, hence no conversion rounding.

Last edited by Droid13; 06-07-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:52 PM

I knew about the temperature. Didn't know the others were also converted.

Hmm, that would be interesting!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe that Droid13 is completely correct about the display. The data on the CAN bus is metric, and conversion for display in US units is done by the US version of the instrument cluster. If the instrument cluster were changed to the Canadian version, it should display correctly in metric. I'd be willing to bet that this would be a very expensive part, though.

Stan

Old 06-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Having that DRL OFF switch makes it easier to import a TCH with regards to DRL. Since the DRL is already there, we just need to "cut" the wire that sends the signal for the DRL OFF position. IOW, change the DRL OFF position so that it functions as "OFF" in the Canadian market. That'll save you time and money by not having to switch stalks.

shouldn't be a problem with the speedo since there are km/h readouts... just a bit smaller than usual heh.
I don't understand why you would need to cut a wire.

The DRL Off position is just the all off position for the lights.

Leave the switch in the auto mode, and you have DRL and regular lights in low light level situations.

Maybee just scrape the DRL from the stalk so it only reads OFF.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:26 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe that the Canadian regulations require that the DRLs must not be defeatable. If this is the case, you would have to defeat the DRL "off" switch, and may also have to have the car officially inspected to certify that this has been done. I'm speculating, but you really do need to check on these things before you import one. There's also a 6.5% import duty, I believe. When last I checked, there wasn't a great difference between Canadian and US prices, once you make sure to choose the US package with the same options as are standard in the Canadian packages.

Stan

Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

So far the only real disadvantage is the fact that the speedometer and odometer will be in miles vs KM. I'm not sure how expensive it would be or even if it is possible to have the instruments changed to display KM's.

Thanks
i am always dribing us cars in mexico, all in miles and mpg...

with the speed it is very easy...

the consumpotion...

just reset trip a, put the liters of fuel in the car, when empty miles multiplicated with 1.601 and you have the kilometers on the liters you put...

for me no big deal,

i would not change the odometer...

best wishes

FLORIAN

Quick Reply: Importing a Camry

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands