iPod Holder for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: iPod Holder for TCH

Originally Posted by dalerb
Is this the Belking adaptor you mention: Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector? The page seems to imply that it comes with the male/male mini plug cable included.
That's the one! It doesn't come with the male/male mini plug cable, but i bought that at Walmart for about $4

BTW, it was less than $39.99 at BestBuy, I believe

Old 08-25-2006, 02:49 PM

If you are not talking about a powered cradle, and just something to hold your iPod while you run your own cables to the AUX and power inputs, then there is a foam iPod holder that fits in your cupholder. The best way for me to describe it would be like one of those foam holders for a soda/beer can, but with some ridges on the top edge where you iPod sits. When my TCH was at the dealer, they gave me a Scion tC as a loaner and it had one of these things in the cup holder, and at first I could not figure out what it was! Anyway, I've since seen it elsewhere in use, and it does a great job for it's intended use. No squeaks or noises because it's made of soft foam, there's no shifting or sliding around, and it does not take more space than a single cup holder. You can find them on EBay, if you don't find a Toyota-branded accessory, do a search for "Scion ipod".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCION...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by flopshot; 08-25-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
That's the one! It doesn't come with the male/male mini plug cable, but i bought that at Walmart for about $4

BTW, it was less than $39.99 at BestBuy, I believe
Oh, now that I read more carefully I see that Belkin says it provides a "3.5mm audio-out jack". Meaning there's a hole to plug your cable into, not a cable itself! I'm going to head over to Circuit City tonight and check it out.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

Okay, I've seem to answer my own question, but for those who are interested. I bought the Bracketron Mobile Dock iT at Best Buy for $30. It works well, and has a flexible shaft that makes it pretty convenient. I've included some photos of it in use. See link below.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/br...imageuser=5828

Old 08-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Arrow Re: iPod Holder for TCH

That's interesting. I can see I'll be stopping by Best Buy this afternoon. Thanks for the helpful pic!

Old 08-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Arrow Re: iPod Holder for TCH

I went to Best Buy (idiots) and got the Bracketron Mobile Dock. While it's a very well-engineered product, in my opinion it isn't well-suited to the Camry. The reason is that it is designed to sit in a single cupholder, but the Camry's dual cupholder has a removable center divider that doesn't allow the Bracketron unit to remain securely in place. Mine is going back to the store.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

The IPod holder looks great, but I still hesitate to use one of cup holder for holding the Ipod.

One of the main dislike feature for the TCH is that there are only 4 cup holders in the car.

My previous car: Honda Accord 2003 has 6 cup holders, where 4 of them are in the front

If I am using the IPod holder, I am giving up 1 cup holder. It is completely fine when i am the only one in the car. However when my girl friend is in the car and when we are in a trip that we needs the cup holder for drinks, I cannot use the IPod holder and my girl friend will automatically be my unique Ipod holder, with voice command feature.

I wish TCH has more cup holders, just like the accord. I also wish there is a IPod holder in the market that I don't need to use my cup holder.

Are there any ipod holder mounts on the air vent? I stil haven't seen any of them yet.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:59 AM
Enthusiast

There are plenty of kinds, some that are vent mounts too. Look at this link http://www.arkon.com/phonemount.php just make sure if you decide on the cup holder mount that you don't buy the one from Arkon, it was too big. There is also a flexible lighter mount on this site too.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian
Are there any ipod holder mounts on the air vent? I stil haven't seen any of them yet.

Just saw one of these at Wally World this past weekend. No frills design, but clips to vent and allows easy access to ipod, and since it's made of neoprene, should provide a fair amount of scratch protection to an unprotected Ipod.

http://www.caselogic.com/catch_all_t...?modelid=76720