It's official -- I've forgotten how to use car keys

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:46 PM
it's just a car...
Default It's official -- I've forgotten how to use car keys

Since May, the Tahoe has been used sparingly. The only time I drive it is to get building supplies or carry the dog on an infrequent visit to the kennel/vet.
These have been quick out and back runs for the most part and I never added the Tahoe keys to the TCH key ring.

Today, I took it (the Tahoe) to Nashville (delivery, setting up my wife's booth at a holiday gift fair, shopping and restaurant) for an extended drive.

Unlocking, starting and re-locking manually with standard car keys are no longer automatic subconsious actions. I forget to pull the keys out of my pocket, remember, unlock, put them back in my pocket and get in before realizing I can't start the thing.

After stopping, the problem is reversed -- what did I do with my keys?

My appreciation for the TCH lock and key system has increased after only one day without it.

Last edited by vioarc; 11-22-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:38 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: It's official -- I've forgotten how to use car keys

Originally Posted by vioarc
Since May, the Tahoe has been used sparingly. The only time I drive it is to get building supplies or carry the dog on an infrequent visit to the kennel/vet.
These have been quick out and back runs for the most part and I never added the Tahoe keys to the TCH key ring.

Today, I took it to Nashville (delivery, setting up my wife's booth at a holiday gift fair, shopping and restaurant) for an extended drive.

Unlocking, starting and re-locking manually with standard car keys are no longer automatic subconsious actions. I forget to pull the keys out of my pocket, remember, unlock, put them back in my pocket and get in before realizing I can't start the thing.

After stopping, the problem is reversed -- what did I do with my keys?

My appreciation for the TCH lock and key system has increased after only one day without it.
LOL
There are several people at the hospital who are not allowed to take coffee breaks. They need to be retrained afterwords.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

Oh man, I have done exactly the same thing. Unlock my old car, put the keys in my pocket, get in the car, schrunch over to get the keys out of my pocket, and start the old car!

Old 11-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Along for the ride.....

me too - Starting the Pilot is a pain in the butt

Old 11-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Dazed and Confused

But have you reached for the keys in the ignition of the TCH just to find a nice smoot part of the steering column?

I have a couple of times.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, we do get spoiled lol.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Same here it is a b@#$% when we go out in my wifes 2004 Sienna and I have to resort to unlocking the doors and starting the van with a key.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:19 AM
it's just a car...

What I've learned is that the keyless feature is something I would probably not have considered if it had not been standard, but after using it for over six months I really appreciate its value.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've gotten used to not using keys on the TCH, however I still haven't gotten over my other "problem" with the TCH. For the last 20 years I've been driving cars with column shift levers. You don't want to know the number of times I've turned on the wipers while reaching for the column shift to place the car in drive.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My wife gets irritatedwhen we take the Highlander. I used to unlock all doors befroe I got to it. Now I walk up and try the door handle. Nothing. It won't open. Oh thats right, dig the keys out and press the unlock button twice all the while my wife is wait to get in.

I remember when I had to use keys on the doors. How 1980s!