Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Japan Camry Accessories (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/japan-camry-accessories-13007/)

HybridAri 04-05-2007 03:58 PM

Japan Camry Accessories

Was just bored messing around on the internet and went to the Japanese Toyota Website... They've got some nice accessories we don't get stateside, take a look:

http://toyota.jp/camry/dop/index.html

What stands out is the power folding mirrors. I don't understand why our mirrors don't even fold?

iam4pack 04-05-2007 04:08 PM

Re: Japan Camry Accessories

I really like those floor lights. Does any one have thoses?

wilsons66604 04-05-2007 04:19 PM

Wish I could read japanese!!
Did you notice the nav system looked like it had a hard drive?
The lexus auto parking thing is neat!
What's the rear view mirror with the credit card in it??

The side mirors and blue floor lights are available in the US.
http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/product/?id=2159
http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/product/?id=2163

Checkout this nav screen..
http://toyota.jp/dop/navi/function/image/01-p06.jpg

wxman3 04-05-2007 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by HybridAri (Post 119716)
Was just bored messing around on the internet and went to the Japanese Toyota Website... They've got some nice accessories we don't get stateside, take a look:

http://toyota.jp/camry/dop/index.html

What stands out is the power folding mirrors. I don't understand why our mirrors don't even fold?

I love the parking thing..........the seatback doilies are kind of girly, though! They remind me of my grandmothers couch....

Squint 04-05-2007 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by iam4pack (Post 119719)
I really like those floor lights. Does any one have thoses?

People buy cold cathode lights and install them in their footwells. If you wanted them on when the doors opened and off when they closed it might be a bit more complicated.

mikieboyblue 04-05-2007 06:45 PM

OMG! I love that NAV unit and it looks like it does everything I wish ours did....Way to go USA.

HybridAri 04-06-2007 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by wilsons66604 (Post 119721)
Wish I could read japanese!!
Did you notice the nav system looked like it had a hard drive?
The lexus auto parking thing is neat!
What's the rear view mirror with the credit card in it??

The side mirors and blue floor lights are available in the US.
http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/product/?id=2159
http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/product/?id=2163

Checkout this nav screen..
http://toyota.jp/dop/navi/function/image/01-p06.jpg

That nav screen is insane!

I wonder if you can buy the power folding mirrors here though, that would be a must have mod!

HybridAri 04-06-2007 07:53 AM

http://camry.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/20511.jpg

Check out the Austrailian interior!

mikieboyblue 04-06-2007 07:58 AM

Why do the US interior and US options suck so much compared to other countries!!!

jbollt 04-06-2007 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by HybridAri (Post 119796)

I realy like that wood color, and the hand parking brake (the only real proper kind!)

But, I can do without the apparent ashtray and cig lighter instead of the bigger "garage door" type console that we have under the HVAC controls.

mikieboyblue 04-06-2007 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jbollt (Post 119804)
I realy like that wood color, and the hand parking brake (the only real proper kind!)

But, I can do without the apparent ashtray and cig lighter instead of the bigger "garage door" type console that we have under the HVAC controls.

Agreed 100%.

meerkat 04-08-2007 07:58 AM

Thanks HybridAri !

I wonder if the mirrors are still power and have the heaters in them? I wonder if the wiring is inplace for the turns (on Japan made models). I also wonder if they fold since I didn't notice any other mirrors on the page - but then I cant read Japanese either (good thing for photos!).

Gee, I wonder a lot!!! :omg:

john312 04-12-2007 02:00 AM

Quick (somewhat accurate) translation of the mirror page:

Door mirror with attached side turn lamp.

For vehicle dress up (of course), cover visibility of right and left fold time conforms to safety standards.
[I'm not really sure about this sentence (especially this part: 折時 which I interpreted as fold time)]

Color: Corresponds to all body colors,

* Brightness of photograph differs from actual.

32,550 yen [~$273] (31,000 yen [~$260] without tax)

* Option may not be applicable to all vehicle types.
* Price does not include installation. Manufacturer's recommended price is a reference. Tax exluded price is inside ().
* Actual color may differ from vehicle color.
* Price is as of January 2006 and is subject to change without prior notice.

tnsig 04-12-2007 04:56 AM

Love the look of the Australian interior. I really wanted something darker than ash for my interior. It's unfortunate Toyota only offered the darker interior on the SE model here in the USA.

I also love the mirror's with the turn signals. As mentioned before I wonder if those mirrors still have the heating element and what extra wiring needs to be done for the turn signal...

meerkat 04-12-2007 04:07 PM

Well, I took the plunge... I went ahead and ordered the mirrors :omg:

Cost: A little over $400 :omg: :omg:
Delivery time (from Japan): 6-8 weeks!:omg: :omg: :omg:

I contacted the dealer in CA (Carson Toyota) that is selling these and asked the questions all of us have. According to them, the mirrors have all the options built into them that would normally come with a fully loaded Camry (as far as the mirrors are concerned). Wired for power, pre-painted to your car color (must specify), heated, AND suppose to be "plug-n-play" for the turn signal option :omg: (if your car was made in Japan).

Also, (Gee - there's more!?) YES! These fold in! I was curious about the power fold mention but who knows. Maybe when the car is shut off they fold in automatically? :confused:

All this according to the dealer (which seemed VERY knowledgable about them). But, we also know how dealers can be :angry: They say it should be a very simple swap - unplug one and plug the new one in (I dunno about all that though...).

So, we'll see what happens in 6-8 weeks and I'll report back. :D

wilsons66604 04-12-2007 05:40 PM

it looked to me as though the mirrors adjusted to point down a little when shifting into reverse. this would be a cool feature! keep us posted.....I may take the plunge too. my tch is japanese also.

mikieboyblue 04-12-2007 05:41 PM

meerkat - Good luck!

kris 04-12-2007 05:43 PM

Wow meerkat, keep us updated please!

jbollt 04-12-2007 09:49 PM

meerkat, very cool sounding, please DO keep us posted

wilsons66604 04-13-2007 03:27 AM

Here is a link to a google translation of the page that shows the mirror folding and moving when in reverse...

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Not sure what the prices are for or if these are features for the mirrors that meerkat ordered

ken1784 04-13-2007 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by john312 (Post 120645)
Door mirror with attached side turn lamp.

For vehicle dress up (of course), cover visibility of right and left fold time conforms to safety standards.
[I'm not really sure about this sentence (especially this part: 折時 which I interpreted as fold time)]

Hello from Japan, :)

"折時" is "in case of turns".
So...
"They are confirmed to Japanese safety regulation standard, and they have great visibility from others in case of right or left turns."

Ken@Japan

tnsig 04-13-2007 04:17 AM

Yes do keep up posted. I would like to know what you think of them. I showed them to my wife and her exact words were "They look nice but they aren't worth THAT much money". LOL

john312 04-13-2007 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by ken1784 (Post 120821)
Hello from Japan, :)

'折時' is 'in case of turns'.
So...
'They are confirmed to Japanese safety regulation standard, and they have great visibility from others in case of right or left turns.'

Ken@Japan

Thank you Ken. That compound wasn't in the dictionary I am using so I made a guess based on the two kanji separately.

ken1784 04-13-2007 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by john312 (Post 120837)
Thank you Ken. That compound wasn't in the dictionary I am using so I made a guess based on the two kanji separately.

You're welcome, John.
"右折" is "right turn" and "左折" is "left turn", and "時" is "in case of" or "when something" in this case.
Sorry for an off-topic, but Japanese is difficult language, I think.

Ken@Japan

meerkat 04-13-2007 05:51 PM

Thanks to all for the help in breaking the code :D

Also thanks Wilson66604 for the other link. I doubt those mirrors I ordered have the features of tilting down while in reverse and power folding on ignition off. I think they may be offered as additional mirrors with features since they are posted differently than the turn mirrors (an earlier page in the link shows the turn signal mirrors). However... ya' never know - right? ;)

Let's hope we get lucky and ALL THESE FEATURES are in the mirrors! (ya' . . . sure . . .)

L8R

john312 04-14-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ken1784 (Post 120912)
'右折'; is 'right turn' and '左折' is 'left turn', and '時' is 'in case of' or 'when something' in this case.
Sorry for an off-topic, but Japanese is difficult language, I think.

The right turn and left turn compounds are in my dictionary, just not 'in case of/when' turning.
We'll see how badly I do later this year when I will be in Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, and Kyoto over a two week period.

wilsons66604 04-14-2007 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 120951)
Thanks to all for the help in breaking the code :D

Also thanks Wilson66604 for the other link. I doubt those mirrors I ordered have the features of tilting down while in reverse and power folding on ignition off. I think they may be offered as additional mirrors with features since they are posted differently than the turn mirrors (an earlier page in the link shows the turn signal mirrors). However... ya' never know - right? ;)

Let's hope we get lucky and ALL THESE FEATURES are in the mirrors! (ya' . . . sure . . .)

L8R

I wonder. After further studying of the webpages, the mirrors with tilt and the mirrors with the fold feature don't look like they have the turn signal. They have a seperate price as well (which is much cheaper than the mirrors w/ turn signals)

I want the tilt AND fold features!!! I wonder what I need to do to get that.
It would be GREAT if the turn signal mirrors have all features!!

Squint 04-14-2007 03:49 PM

I'm sure there's a way to add turn signals to mirrors and I'm sure someone at hidplanet has done it.

meerkat 04-15-2007 08:17 AM

I like the mirrors with the turns embedded in the housing - not on the mirror plate. MUTH mirrors has aftermarket mirrors with the plate turn signals (like the original Ford Explorers started out with). However... they don't offer it for the Japan made TCH. Dunno why.

A seller out there offers that style for the TCH USA for about $190, half the cost of the housing turns. The MUTH site actually gives you installation directions so when mine come it should be easy to wreak havoc on my doors :D

Even if the turn housings had the tilt/power fold built into them - how would they be cotrolled (unless by some mystical, magical force it was all built in from the factory?). maybe the housings could be swapped with the fold/tilt mechanisms? But then, you'd have about $800 in side mirrors that some knucklehead would scrap into or get knocked off! :omg:

So, we wil see . . . .

meerkat 04-15-2007 08:22 AM

Oh, If interested the MUTH web site is here:

http://www.kwmuth.com/

For the USA Camry (dunno why), the info / retro is here:

http://kwmuth.com/products/kits/220-0270.htm

meerkat 04-15-2007 08:26 AM

O.K. One last post this morning....

Apparently, if you get the signal retro kit they also offer a heating add-on for those non-heated mirrors.

So, thoseof you with non-heated mirros looking to get turn signal mirror plates can also get the heated mirror feature. Looks like the whole tamale runs around $300. But, don't know the install or control. I imagine they provide info.

wilsons66604 04-15-2007 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 121072)
I like the mirrors with the turns embedded in the housing - not on the mirror plate. MUTH mirrors has aftermarket mirrors with the plate turn signals (like the original Ford Explorers started out with). However... they don't offer it for the Japan made TCH. Dunno why.

A seller out there offers that style for the TCH USA for about $190, half the cost of the housing turns. The MUTH site actually gives you installation directions so when mine come it should be easy to wreak havoc on my doors :D

Even if the turn housings had the tilt/power fold built into them - how would they be cotrolled (unless by some mystical, magical force it was all built in from the factory?). maybe the housings could be swapped with the fold/tilt mechanisms? But then, you'd have about $800 in side mirrors that some knucklehead would scrap into or get knocked off! :omg:

So, we wil see . . . .

The Japanese site says the tilt is operated by shifting into reverse. Folding is operated by the locking of the door.
Japanese cars must have extra/different wiring installed therefore the MUTH mirrors don't work.

meerkat 04-15-2007 09:14 AM

The MUTH mirrors look to be "plate" replacements only. I wouldn't expect any fancy features other then the signal feature - and then the add-on heated feature.

I wonder too if our Japan built TCH is really wired the same (or pre-wired) since they are built to USA standards.

It would be totally cool if all the deatures were wired in from the get-go.

Ian 04-23-2007 08:21 PM

i know that a lot of cars, especially cars sold in Asian countries such as Hong Kong (That's where I am from) has folded mirrors, not because they look cool, but for practical reason that our parking spaces are smaller than those in US. In order to minimize the chance of knocking out (i guess) or damaging side mirrors, both side mirrors can be folded inwards with a press of a button.
Besides folding side mirrors, the passanger side mirror (I am not sure about the camry) will tilt down when a reverse gear is used. Here in the states we usually just drive into the parking space, but in Hong Kong, we reverse to the parking space. With the ability of tilting down the passanger side mirror, we can look at the parking box while reversing into the space.
I think side mirror with turning sign is just a touch of luxury and it sure makes our camry more elegant.
I notice one more thing I can see in HK's camry but not in our camry: They got a electric shade as an option at the back window. If i remember correctly, with a press of a button (May be manually pulling it up), the shade will come up at the back window, which i think is cool and very useful for blocking the sun when parking our camry outdoor. I am surprised we do not have this as an option here.

Well.. HK still haven't imported any Camry Hybrid though~

LThompson 04-29-2007 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info Brian! I can't tell if they will have a convex mirror on the passengers side -- which will be drivers side for us. Guess getting them in hand will tell.... good luck on the project!

wilsons66604 05-24-2007 05:44 AM

Well....It's been 6 weeks!!
<< got mirrors? >>
:)

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 120755)
Well, I took the plunge... I went ahead and ordered the mirrors :omg:

Cost: A little over $400 :omg: :omg:
Delivery time (from Japan): 6-8 weeks!:omg: :omg: :omg:

I contacted the dealer in CA (Carson Toyota) that is selling these and asked the questions all of us have. According to them, the mirrors have all the options built into them that would normally come with a fully loaded Camry (as far as the mirrors are concerned). Wired for power, pre-painted to your car color (must specify), heated, AND suppose to be "plug-n-play" for the turn signal option :omg: (if your car was made in Japan).

Also, (Gee - there's more!?) YES! These fold in! I was curious about the power fold mention but who knows. Maybe when the car is shut off they fold in automatically? :confused:

All this according to the dealer (which seemed VERY knowledgable about them). But, we also know how dealers can be :angry: They say it should be a very simple swap - unplug one and plug the new one in (I dunno about all that though...).

So, we'll see what happens in 6-8 weeks and I'll report back. :D

rmorrow 05-24-2007 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by wilsons66604 (Post 120817)
Here is a link to a google translation of the page that shows the mirror folding and moving when in reverse...

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Not sure what the prices are for or if these are features for the mirrors that meerkat ordered

I just went to look at the google-translated page, and this is the description that I saw:
When the shifter is designated as “R”, the door mirror mirror surface of suicide seat side
I wonder which is the "suicide seat".:)

meerkat 05-25-2007 11:54 AM

Well . . . . Not yet.

I called the dealer on Tuesday and they said that the overseas items had been received and needed to match them up with orders (mine is one - woohoo!) and then they'll ship it out. Since they are on the west coast and I am on the east, it'll probably be (at best) end of next week - and that is IF they ship it out soon (today?).

Looks to be a pretty easy swap though - but we'll see....

I'll make sure to either let y'all know in this post or (if they are REALLY cool) put a new post with pics.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

meerkat 06-01-2007 12:00 PM

Sad news - a setback. :( I found out today that the mirrors are not available in my color (4Q2 - Desert Sand Mica) in Japan. That color is no longer used in Japan apparently. So, 6 weeks of waiting and nothing more than frustration.

Now, on the other side - they say they can order a white set and then get them painted to match the 4Q2 color of my car (yeah, for an additional $125 :omg: ). Why is everything so problematic? :confused:

So i think I'll be taking the weekend to mull it over and think if I really need/want turn signal mirrors on the car. I like the looks & styling - just the price (it would total over $525) is a "gotcha".

:cry: :cry: :cry:

jbollt 06-01-2007 12:22 PM

Sorry to hear that, Meerkat! I feel for you! It is truly hard to deal with the anticipation this long, then get zapped! Oh well.... I was hoping to hear good things about your mirrors, as I have a Desert Sand TCH also....Thanks for letting us know!