Lawsuits...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Lawsuits...

This past weekend I read that a guy in California is suing because the listed MPG on the sticker and in advertisements were "deceptive". {His claim} His Honda Civic Hybrid was getting far less than what he thought it should...

My question is this; If after buying your TCH and doing all of the things that you have learned that would help improve your gas mileage, and it did not get the EPA numbers, would you sue for false advertisements?

Me personally, I'm happy as all get out with my MPG; I average a driving speed of about 78 mph in mixed city/ hwy driving and my return thus far is about 34 - 36 mpg! Coming from a 2007 Mazda CX-7 that only got 18.5 mpg avg with SUPER unleaded ONLY, I couldn't be more pleased!

So, Are you happy with your MPG? Or is there another class action in the works?

By the way, Honda has decided to drop the Accord Hybrid... Low sales or dismal performance?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Lawsuits...

Originally Posted by WJBushSr
This past weekend I read that a guy in California is suing because the listed MPG on the sticker and in advertisements were "deceptive". {His claim} His Honda Civic Hybrid was getting far less than what he thought it should...

My question is this; If after buying your TCH and doing all of the things that you have learned that would help improve your gas mileage, and it did not get the EPA numbers, would you sue for false advertisements?

Me personally, I'm happy as all get out with my MPG; I average a driving speed of about 78 mph in mixed city/ hwy driving and my return thus far is about 34 - 36 mpg! Coming from a 2007 Mazda CX-7 that only got 18.5 mpg avg with SUPER unleaded ONLY, I couldn't be more pleased!

By the way, Honda has decided to drop the Accord Hybrid... Low sales or dismal performance?
A lot of folks go thru life living on lawsuits, it is really sad that they have learned to work the system instead of working for a living. Spill hot coffee from Mac and Dons and they even sue lol.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would not sue. I know a few people who have complained a lot. Mostly with the American brands because they get far far less but Toyota has their own ratings that put on the sticker along with the EPA (here in the NY) and it is more realistic.

This suit shouldn't even get anywhere because because it is widely publicized and should be known that the EPA estimates are wrong. In fact the EPA has finally reconciled this (or has tried to) by releasing the new estimates.

I say...only in California. Some people just need something better to do with their lives. I am sure he is not actually hurt by this.

I also hope this loses, and I feel it might give the dry cleaner lost pants suit that just lost. That was another bogus filing.

That said, the companies should have probably been more realistic about the rating instead of allowing the known poor EPA ratings push them further for marketing purposes.

Ok, enough, this is just frustrating me...

I am 100% pleased with my mileage (35 average for life of car) --- NOTE TO THOSE THAT SUE -- THAT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE EPA RATING.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM

Dismal performance I have been told by dealers. The V6 was just plain stupid to use.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:54 PM
2nd Driver

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I am 100% pleased with my mileage (35 average for life of car) --- NOTE TO THOSE THAT SUE -- THAT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE EPA RATING.
NEWS - your 35 mpg is actually ABOVE/BETTER THAN the EPA's revised THC ratings - 33 City/34 Highway/34 overall.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Was he suing Toyota or the EPA folks? If he sues Toyota, he wont get anywhere since the EPA is calculated with a standard scientific method. Toyota is not saying it gets that kind of mileage, but EPA testing shows that it does. If he sues the EPA folks, well, he *may* get somewhere, but since they revised their testing procedure, he's just barking up the wrong tree.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

I believe his suit is against Honda of America... Toyota is no where mentioned in the article.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
Was he suing Toyota or the EPA folks? If he sues Toyota, he wont get anywhere since the EPA is calculated with a standard scientific method. Toyota is not saying it gets that kind of mileage, but EPA testing shows that it does. If he sues the EPA folks, well, he *may* get somewhere, but since they revised their testing procedure, he's just barking up the wrong tree.
So true (except it is a Honda). This is yet another frivolous lawsuit.

Since the EPA is revising all of the numbers for ALL vehicles (hybrids and non-hybrids), anyone who owns a car could sue the EPA for misleading mileage estimates, since they are all TOO HIGH under the current system.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM

This is frivolous lawsuit and should never go to the court, period. EPA is federal agency behind the numbers and they decided how the tests are performed, unless it could be proven Honda was making up the numbers. There is also disclaimer that your mileage will vary. Everybody knows that mpg can jump up and down depending on driving conditions and you'll get different MPG driving on the muddy forest road compared to empty highway. I also don't understand why EPA changed the way it is testing the cars now. I get 38-40 mpg, as EPA predicted and I think the new, 34 mpg number is a joke, my worst tank ever is about that low, due to combination of snowstorm, very heavy traffic and very cold temperatures. But I don't live on South Pole and this weather conditions last few weeks a year at most. People don't meet EPA numbers because they're speeding, almost everybody drives 10-15 mph above speed limit, a lot of people much more than that. Also very short trips will kill MPG due to the engine running rich most of the time. If you don't go crazy on the road, don't get stuck in standing still traffic all the time and don't drive very short trips most of the time you will get 38-40 mpg. I've seen people driving with left foot on the break and right on the gas and they probably can't figure out why they get low mpg. I hope everybody knows that potential cost of lawsuits is calculated into the prices we all pay and for example liability lawsuits destroyed most of the small aircraft manufacturing in US, for example. Cost of health care also goes up at something close to 25% a year and lawsuits are partially to blame for that increase. I think Sprint did a great thing by dumping 1200 of it's 56 million customers who could never get satisfaction and keep calling customer support for 40-50 times a month always complaining, if they were so unhappy let them go somewhere else. If the guy didn't like the car's MPG he should sell it and get bicycle or something.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Lawsuits...

Probably a slimey lawyer. If you read the mileage he's getting, he must be taking his car to the drag races. While the EPA ratings have often been suspect, no matter what they make them or revise them to be, someone will always not be able to get them either because of where they live or how they drive. The average values found here at Green Hybrid are good indicators of what others should expect. Some will do better because they want to and others will be a little less. The ratings for Green Hybrid are in my estimation better than even the new EPA which goes too far the other way. The values are averages not minimums!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands