Like being in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Like being in neutral?

Just posted this to Toyotanation.com - would like your thoughts also:

Just finishing off my second tank of gas (5.2L/100km = 45.2mpg), and I've noticed that when coasting down a hill the TCH gains speed/freewheels like I've shifted into neutral. This is an AMAZING feature, and allows me to coast a ways up to or on level ground once I've descended. Great for regen, and FE! Did Toyota design the car to respond like it was in neutral?

Also, 'break in' period has now passed (1600km) - is there any + benefit to continuing to 'baby it' for another 100km or more, or should/can I start driving the highway speed of 110km/h (though I'm getting amazing mileage driving as conservatively as I have)?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Like being in neutral?

Originally Posted by Forest
Just posted this to Toyotanation.com - would like your thoughts also:

Just finishing off my second tank of gas (5.2L/100km = 45.2mpg), and I've noticed that when coasting down a hill the TCH gains speed/freewheels like I've shifted into neutral. This is an AMAZING feature, and allows me to coast a ways up to or on level ground once I've descended. Great for regen, and FE! Did Toyota design the car to respond like it was in neutral?

Also, 'break in' period has now passed (1600km) - is there any + benefit to continuing to 'baby it' for another 100km or more, or should/can I start driving the highway speed of 110km/h (though I'm getting amazing mileage driving as conservatively as I have)?

Thanks.
Compared to my previous Prius the regen of the Camry on downhill grades seems minimal. The Prius would actually slow 1 mph/sec even on fairly steep downhill grades. I think I would like the Camry to be a little more agressive in minimizing acceleration on down hill grades.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Not me. I like it just like it is. The only thing better would be a steering wheel option to select the present regen level or a higher one when the SOC is down after climbing a long hill.

But that is probably way to complex for the average, technology challenged driver.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

The intent is that there be a slight regenerative braking that mimics the load of a conventional automatic transmission. Seems a lighter load than an automatic to me, but then I've always driven a manual.

Of course you do get control over this -- light pressure on the brake to increase the regenerative braking and a light touch on the gas to reduce it.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by talmy
...Of course you do get control over this -- light pressure on the brake to increase the regenerative braking and a light touch on the gas to reduce it.
Agreed, but I don't want to ride the five miles down the mountain every morning with my foot on the brake pedal without actually resting it there.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

We do a fair amount of mountain driving here in Colorado. The one concern to keep in mind that it is easy to fill the battery on the down hill runs. If you have your foot on the brake with a full battery us are using the brake shoes and not regenerating electricity. I use my foot lightly on the brake until the battery is full then I use B mode. It does not take long before your battery is full.

Just FYI

Bill