Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Lines on Dash - Passenger Side - Airbag? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/lines-dash-passenger-side-airbag-10042/)

RCFlyer 09-19-2006 03:16 PM

Lines on Dash - Passenger Side - Airbag?

Do any of you have these faint lines on the dash? I'm wondering if that is where the airbag deploys or is it a manufacturing issue.... They kind of form a large hexgaon/polygon.....

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...9/IMG_0173.JPG

spiff72 09-19-2006 05:13 PM

Re: Lines on Dash - Passenger Side - Airbag?

I haven't noticed that, but I haven't really looked. It does look like the thin areas that weaken the dash so it can deploy properly.

vioarc 09-19-2006 05:38 PM

No defect -- the cris-cross "XXXXX" pattern on the underside weakens the plastic so the airbag can deploy -- more visible under different light conditions.

RCFlyer 09-19-2006 09:34 PM

Wow - get in an accident - even a minor one and you have to replace the whole dash board....of course your life is more an important than a dash board!!! :)

misbe 10-25-2007 09:08 PM

Yes, the cross should be there. No, you should not be able to see it. This is a defect, and one that the OEM would be complaining to their supplier of the instrument panel (dash) about.

I have an area of white powder, about 1/4" diameter, that keeps appearing on the passenger side dash. It is referred to as "blooming" in the polymer world. Does anyone else have this issue?

cast_and_blast 10-26-2007 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyer (Post 88624)
Wow - get in an accident - even a minor one and you have to replace the whole dash board....of course your life is more an important than a dash board!!! :)

Odds are that if the airbags deploy the vehicle will be totaled anyway - replacing airbags with OEM parts is VERY expensive. I had an accident a number of yearrs ago where the bags in the Toyota van I was driving deployed. When I spoke with the adjuster he claimed that in the 7 years he had been doing claims he had yet to see an instance where the bags deployed and the vehicle was not declared a total loss by the insurance company (American Family in this case).

Scott

VBsportbiker 11-08-2007 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by misbe (Post 147715)
Yes, the cross should be there. No, you should not be able to see it. This is a defect, and one that the OEM would be complaining to their supplier of the instrument panel (dash) about.

I have an area of white powder, about 1/4" diameter, that keeps appearing on the passenger side dash. It is referred to as "blooming" in the polymer world. Does anyone else have this issue?

Hey MISBE do you have a picture of this???

misbe 11-09-2007 06:15 PM

Unfortunately, no. I cleaned it up, but I expect it will come back again. When it does, I'll post a picture.

Pete4 11-10-2007 02:15 PM

My car, when brand new had no sign of any dashboard cuts at all, now I can see them on passenger side and little bit on the steering wheel. I would speculate summer heat made plastic softer and sink a little where cuts are made. I don't think I will be trying to replace it under warranty either, as it doesn't bother me at all, but I agree it shouldn't be so visible.

giantquesadilla 11-10-2007 08:37 PM

RCFlyer: Have you taken this in yet? My friend has airbag lines showing and I was wondering if the dealership did anything.