Long Roadtrip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek
Default Long Roadtrip?

Has anyone been on a LONG roadtrip in their TCH? I'm planning on going on one (2500 miles) this summer and was wondering what to expect.
(I have already determined that my bladder will give out before the gas gauge! No more using the fuel as a REASON to stop )

Old 03-30-2007, 03:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Long Roadtrip?

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Has anyone been on a LONG roadtrip in their TCH? I'm planning on going on one (2500 miles) this summer and was wondering what to expect.
(I have already determined that my bladder will give out before the gas gauge! No more using the fuel as a REASON to stop )
You can expect infrequent stops at the gas station

Other than that I'm not sure what you mean. I'm going on a long trip this next weekend (about 550 miles one way - 1100 round trip for the mathematically challenged ). I don't expect anything different out of the TCH than any other car. I'll be using CC as often as humanly possible.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by tnsig
You can expect infrequent stops at the gas station

Other than that I'm not sure what you mean. I'm going on a long trip this next weekend (about 550 miles one way - 1100 round trip for the mathematically challenged ). I don't expect anything different out of the TCH than any other car. I'll be using CC as often as humanly possible.
I'm not sure what I meant
Most milage discussion in the forum based on day-to-day driving/commutes. What kind of milage should I expect?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have taken a 2800 mile trip to Texas last June and a 1500 mile trip to Cali earlier this month.

My Texas trip average MPG was: 37.09
My Cali trip average MPG was: 36.9
Combined Average for both trips was: 36.995 (basically 37)

So they were pretty equal. The car both times was loaded up with at least 320 pounds of human plus a completely full trunk and mostly full passenger area (more bags inside the car too.)

The car does great on the open road. For me personally, either the driver's side or passenger side front seats are plenty comfortable. The car is decently quiet at highway speeds of 70-75 mph; there are a little bit of wind and road noise intruding, but nothing that negatively affects the quality of the trip at all.

I had no problem climbing the hills and dales when we encountered them. The car always had plenty of passing power to get around slow trucks or any other slow vehicle.

I traded in a 2004 HCH for my TCH, and I can tell you that the TCH is a far better vehicle for long road trips. I took several of the long trips in the HCH, and the TCH is just a better, smoother, quieter, more powerful, more comfortable road car.

I say you will come back with raves too. Good luck !!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I too am doing a road trip this weekend (first one in my TCH) of about 600 miles round trip. Since I am averaging about 38mpg in town, I am hoping to easily see the 40s. I will report what I get.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Long Roadtrip?

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I'm not sure what I meant
Most milage discussion in the forum based on day-to-day driving/commutes. What kind of milage should I expect?
Your mileage will depend on how fast you choose to drive and how much weight you carry with you.

On a round-trip I made from LA to San Francisco, I got nearly 45 mpg. However, I never exceeded 70 mph and I drove by myself with little luggage. I also used cruise control exclusively except when going up big hills.

Weight and speed greatly impact mileage.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

hi
when you are on the highway, with cruise on,does the car seem to jerk as the ice kicks on and off? ive read about that, just asking for more opinions
thanks
dan

Old 03-31-2007, 11:39 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by camrydan
hi
when you are on the highway, with cruise on,does the car seem to jerk as the ice kicks on and off? ive read about that, just asking for more opinions
thanks
dan
I have also read somewhere about this so called jerkiness on the hiway but never really experienced it myself, at least not to anything I would classify as jerky. Even while cruising along the engine will speed up and slow down as it deems necessary, not only to changing road conditions but also to changing electrical needs. At times you can feel slight differences as the ICE will begin to work a bit harder on the generator and also when it eases off the generator, all while cruising at a constant speed on level roads. Accelerating onto a highway can sometimes feel a little strange. If you accelerate quickly at first the engine will rev quite high quite quickly, but as you back off the gas a bit the engine will actually be slowing down even as you continue to accelerate. It may even waver up and down noticeably as you move to find your choice of highway speed. This is mainly a function of the power split device (aka CVT transmission). It's a feeling very unlike an ordinary car moving the gears of an auto transmission. I actually like to call it "smmoooooth".

Last edited by Droid13; 03-31-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

hi when you are on the highway, with cruise on,does the car seem to jerk as the ice kicks on and off? ive read about that, just asking for more opinions thanks dan
With my TCH, I have never noticed anything like that at all, ever.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

hi
thanks
dan
I understood that once you get past 40 mph the ICE is on constantly anyway so no it wouldn't jerk.

I have noticed a slight jerk at lower speeds when the ICE starts up, but it's not something that bothers me.

Quick Reply: Long Roadtrip?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands