Loud Rattle at Start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Loud Rattle at Start up

Anyone else seeing this issue that I have had randomly over the last month:

Every few days, when I start the car, when the ICE starts, I get a very loud metallic knocking sound from the engine. It has lasted from a few seconds up to almost 30 seconds. Oil level is always checked after this, and is fine.

It sounds like the engine has no oil in it, when it does it.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Car has about 16,000 miles on it, oil has been changed every 5000 miles.

Thoughts?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Default Re: Loud Rattle at Start up

I had this with other Toyotas in the past. I use only Toyota oil IN BOTTLES and the problem went away. Many dealers and aftermarkets use non-Toyota oil in bulk and the oil, for some reason, can cause the problem. Also be sure a Toyota filter was used, it has an anti-drain back valve to keep the top of the engine lubricated on start up. Hope this helps!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Your noise is caused by the anti-drainback valve. It's common in some average oil filters. Buy a Purolator oil filter (from Pepboys or Advanced Auto stores) or a OEM filter from your Toyota dealer and the problem should go away. Make sure your using a 5w or the better 0W-20 oil.

Their is a similar noise sometimes when you hear the engine first starts after sitting a while. It also sounds like a dry engine for a couple seconds, but must be normal as others report it. Mine has donethis almost weekly during the summer, not so much in the winter. I use a toyota oem filter and 0W oil for over a year now.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-08-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments, oil is Mobil1 0w20 and filters are Toyota OEM.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ok, it's best to have a Toyota dealer check your car out.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Guys,

Any modern filter from a major company that is spec'd for these cars will have an anti-drainback valve. The only difference in them is what the valve is made of. They will either be nitrile (std) or silicone (better).

If I had to hazard a guess on this engine, it sounds like the valve is stuck open in the filter but it does need to be looked at by the dealer.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dealer has told me that if I can't get it to do it for them, there is nothing for them to "fix". It is going to have to do it often enough that it does it for them, unfortunately. So dealer is a no go.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

habu,

Do yourself a favor and replace the filter with a quality replacement (Wix, Mobil 1, Napa Gold, Puralator Pure One, K & N, etc.) and see what happens. If the problem goes away, you solved it. It it is still there, you have eliminated a possible problem for the dealer to check.

You might also save the engine....

Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

You could park your car overnight at the dealer and go there in in the morning and start it with them present so that they can hear the sound.

A cold engine in the best for this.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

If I could get it to do it every morning after sitting, that would be great. But the problem is very hit and miss. It may not do it for a week, then do it 2x back to back. Then fine for another week to 10 days. I may just change the filter out and see if that helps. It has only started in the last 3000 miles or so. But I changed the oil about 1200 miles ago, so it was doing it before the last oil change.

Will continue to monitor it and see if the filter change helps it.

Thanks, I will let you guys know what I find out.

Quick Reply: Loud Rattle at Start up

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands