Messed up my car, anyone know how to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Messed up my car, anyone know how to fix it?

Originally Posted by rocket08
McGyver, did your dealer refuse to turn it OFF for you? In my case, I just paid them $100 and got it done. Seems like a less stressful route to me But you sound like you do have the smarts to DIY, so good luck with it.
Thanks for the vote of confidence rocket, but 'smart' is not what I feel like today. Quite the opposite in fact.

I used to work at a Volvo dealer. We set custom parameters all the time. We usually wouldn't even hat the car. One of us would grab a scan tool and perform the task in the service drive. It takes 30 seconds. On a matter of principal only I will not pay one dollar, let alone a hundred dollars as a ransom fee for Toyota to un-fark my car.

I'm just... kind of stubborn that way.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
.... On a matter of principal only I will not pay one dollar, let alone a hundred dollars as a ransom fee for Toyota to un-fark my car...
Sorry about your situation.
Reminds me of an episode from "The People's Court".
Lady was sued by the repairman when she refused to pay when he tried to charge her $50 for tightening a screw.
Judge awarded plaintiff $50, saying "5 cents for turning the screw and $49.95 for knowing which screw to turn".

Last edited by haroldo; 01-27-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Sorry about your situation.
Reminds me of an episode from "The People's Court".
Lady was sued by the repairman when she refused to pay when he tried to charge her $50 for tightening a screw.
Judge awarded plaintiff $50, saying "5 cents for turning the screw and $49.95 for knowing which screw to turn".
Larry,

That old saw has been around for at least fifty years before the Peoples Court. In the original version it involves an argument over a carburetor adjustment... and it does not apply in this case whatsoever. I *KNOW* which 'screw' needs to be 'turned'. It is "OPTION = OFF" And it never should have been turned 'ON'.

What would you say if you logged on to your bank account today and found your access, to your own money had been blocked due to a software change that you had nothing to do with....

Would YOU pay a $100 ransom to un-block your account??

Would you justify it by saying "Oh well, at least they knew which line of code to modify"?

How about this... Say your city council mandated that a screeching alarm should sound every time you close the door to your house, but fail to set the deadbolt? Maybe you use your deadbolt all the time at night... but maybe you are planning to go back outside shortly.

Would you pay $100 to the city to over-ride the nuisance?

Just wondering.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM

I'd call Toyota's US Headquarters and complain loudly.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'd call Toyota's US Headquarters and complain loudly.
These people do not care about your problems. in my other world I drive and have owned 10 Lexus vehicals, only had a problem with one and that went on deaf ears in corporate world. they are only concerned with $$$$. PS I guess is what i am trying to say is if they shrug off their top of the line vehicals, they sure don't give squat about my little old Camry lol.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM

I got my seatbelt warning turned off without issue (other than debating whether or not is it a law or could be done)....I hope you get this worked out :-/

Old 01-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by skywagon
These people do not care about your problems. in my other world I drive and have owned 10 Lexus vehicals, only had a problem with one and that went on deaf ears in corporate world. they are only concerned with $$$$. PS I guess is what i am trying to say is if they shrug off their top of the line vehicals, they sure don't give squat about my little old Camry lol.
I have a family member who is mot ashamed to complain about... almost everything. She brought her Lexus in for service and was given a free loaner car. She loaded 5 CD's into the loaner car and promptly forgot to remove them upon turning the free loaner back in. A day later she realized her mistake and called up the dealer. The CD's were gone. She had a tantrum and called Lexus customer service.

They sent her a check for $125 to cover her loss.

You guys just gave me a great idea... I think I know who I will ask to make this call for me.