Michelin Energy Saver AS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Michelin Energy Saver AS

Has anyone put this tire on their Camry? How has that worked out for you?

Difference in fuel economy? Difference in noise? handling?

My 2009 came with stock Michelins. They are shot at 32000 miles. GRRRR.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Michelin Energy Saver AS

Michelins shot at 32k??? Maybe there is something wrong with alignment? I just replaced mine at 76k and I rotated them maybe once, so the rear was still good for another 20k or so, it was front that needed change and I probably still would drive on them except for winter storms, if we had snow I would be in trouble, but otherwise even front tires were still legal as far as thread was concerned. I like Michelins, but I feel they're little overpriced so I went with General Altimax HP, will see how that will work out. If you didn't say I would assume you had Bridgestones, those wear out very quickly according to most owner reports. Energy saver AS should be at least as good as stock tires as far as MPG go, maybe little better. Are they made in 215 60 16 size with V or H rating? T rating maybe too slow.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM

I think alot of the difference in tire wear has to do with the type of road surface you normally drive on. If the road is smooth, and quiet, the tire life will be longer. If you drive on rough, pot-holed roads, (also transmit more noise to the cabin) the tires will probably wear out sooner.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just put a set on my TCH. I'm taking a road trip to Lost Wages next week and will monitor the mpg. I have been getting 36-40 pretty regularly. My Michelins had 40,000 on them and still had even wear and tread left. The place where Igot them put nitrogen in the tires and 38psi all around, we'll see if there is a difference

Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 PM

I replaced the air in my Energy Saver A/S tires myself last October with a large rented tank of Nitrogen. I tried 38 psi cold at first. The car did not coast well and seemed the steering was sluggish. I upped the nitrogen to 40 a few days later at 300 miles. Still the steering was not crisp like I like. I went to 42 and left it at that for 4 or 5 months. I have a ever so slow leak in my front left tire which was down 4 psi.

I stopped by a welding supply and had my 10 gallon air tank filled with nitrogen. I decided to up all 4 tires to 44 psi cold. Now it rides a little rough on rough roads, but now it steers and coast great.

I read the tires with nitrogen will last longer as they don't get as hot as with air. They should run OK with 42 to 44 psi (cold) in each during the winter months. I live in a dry area. I would use 36 to 38 psi if your driving in states with ice and snow.

I have a very accurate tread depth gauge to gauge my tires. I need check them to make sure they are getting even wear across the tread.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-23-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast

I am going to start another thread about this, but Costco has just refused to install this tire on my Camry because it goes against the manufacturers recommended speed rating. I want to start another thread on the topic of speed rating, not just about this tire, but in general on the Camry. I'd love to hear from more people in this thread about their experience with the tire.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM

I bought my Energy Saver tires from tirerack and had them installed locally.

Costco may be protecting themselves in case something happened due to the tires and it could come back on Costco.

Tirerack has some information on the Energy Saver A/S tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....gy+Saver+A%2FS

I still don't see it listed in the survey results. That could be that the tire has not been on the American market very long.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Costco is just covering their legal behind. It is the simplest way of not getting sued. After reading of too many stupid lawsuits (and too many win!) I don't blame them one bit.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

They are great tires, 15,000 on a set on one car and the other company car has 12,000 on its set. Mileage this past summer went up by 1 to 1.2 mpg over the Bridgestone OEM tires that both of the cars came with. Like above, I experimented and found that 41 psi cold was my sweet spot with great handling and nice mileage. The tires have a lower noise level than the OEM tires, handle better in the wet and dry and seem to be lasting longer.

I just went out and checked them. When installed, they had a tread depth of 11/32 and after 15,000 (installed at 39,000 and the car now has 54,000) the tread depth measures 9/32. If the wear continues at this rate, they should last to somewhere between 55,000 and 60,000 miles before needing replacement.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

Georgiahybrid,

When running your tires at 41 pounds do you get even wear across the tire tread?

Quick Reply: Michelin Energy Saver AS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands