Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mileage

I don’t think I am getting the mileage I should from my ’09 TCH. I drive very conservatively (that’s good) but live on the coast just south of San Francisco, so I have to go uphill to get anywhere (that’s bad).

My high has been 38.0 mpg (on a week end trip), with the low at 29.1 mpg. The average over 10,000 miles is 31.8 mpg. This is a far cry from what I obtained from a rented ’08 TCH. I can’t recall the exact number, but it was considerably over 35 mpg, even driving north on Highway 1 from Santa Barbara to San Francisco. That mileage was one of the reasons why I eventually bought an ’09!

I watch the fuel economy meter on the dash, and it seems to me that the ICE does not shut down as soon or as often as it should. I am coming down a long hill, and the needle sits at 60 mpg (the maximum on the scale), but it does not go into ‘e-mode’, meaning that the ICE is still on. Or I come to a complete stop at a red light, and the gauge shows 0 mpg, again showing that the ICE has not shut down.

When should the ICE turn itself off? Is there a possibility of a defective sensor? I know I could ask the dealer, but I doubt that I would get a straight answer.

PS: Is it possible to install a tachometer on a ’09 TCH?

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mileage

If you drive mostly in a hilly area the 30mpg is probably the best you will get. We have the same here in Yucaipa - mostly going down or up hill - and we get the 30mpg average for in town driving. Once we get out on the freeway it jumps up to 36 to 38 mpg, but in town it just does not do better than the 30mpg.

The ICE starts after you exceed 40mph even when going down hill - that's the way it's designed. In town it will shut down when idiling, then come on when accelerating and probably stay on if you are going up any kind of incline. I have found few apparently flat roads that I could make an all electric start on that didn't need the ICE's help to get up to speed, but even on those roads I rarely ever try to do that not wanting to get in other drivers way.

Also - how many miles have you got on the car? I noticed improvements on ours after a couple of thousand miles.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Pragmatist

Two things change during the first few thousand miles of a new car. The machinery "breaks in", as the first wear happens on the tight-tolerance parts. And, the driver learns how to use the new machine to best advantage.

A range between 30 and 36 seems about right, with the low mileage happening on short trips, or at high speeds, and the higher mileage happening on longer trips (warmed up) or at lower speeds. It mostly depends on where you go and how you drive. There are some drivers who routinely get better than 40 mpg, but most of them have long commutes on slow (below 55 mph) highways with few stops and little other traffic. There are some drivers who hardly ever get above 30 mpg, but most of them have short commutes in busy cities. Most drivers, with average commutes in average traffic, fall somewhere between those extremes.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Mileage

Pete,

The MPG you are getting sounds like its in the ball park. There's no rhyme or reason to the wide fluctuations....although there's several theories. Our '09 may get as low as 32 to 34 ... averages about 35+.... and then suddenly get 38 and change. On a long run I've squeeked 43.. down hill with a hefty tail wind only to have it dive to 37 on the bounce back. Go figure!

Now it's getting 38+ in the same drive cycle as a month ago... the weather has been in the 40s-50s and 30s, or less at night. Suddenly it jumps several mpg over its usual mpg. And... its about 4-5 mpg better than last year under the same conditions. Its weird!

Best thing to do is to keep trying to get better mpg... without being obsessive/compulsive about it. And, realize that even 35- 36 is generally much better than most of the iron on the road.

Peace!

Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It could be gas, in winter maybe they add more ethanol, which has less energy and the car needs to burn more of it, it could be cold weather itself, since in winter engine will run more often when stopped, to provide heat, but what really kills mpg for me are short trips, especially in winter, when it takes longer for the engine to fully warm up. Also contrary to popular believe, driving too conservative will burn more fuel, than more spirited driving. Running engine at lower RPM longer is less fuel efficient than driving at higher RPM shorter and then coasting. If your 38mpg was not in winter, then that explains the difference. I get 40-43 mpg year around except winter, where I get 35-38.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Swiss Pete, you mention having to climb many hills in and around San Francisco. That should all be downhill on the way back home unless you drive a loop across town.

I live near the mountains and the highest one is over 8000 feet elevation. We have to drive over it anytime we travel east.

The car gets extreme gas mileage going down the other side. It's almost balances out the low mpg on the way up. I do the climb at 45 mph. The highway is wide enough that 50 mph traffic can pass. On the way down the other side, I drive from 40 mph on the curves and up to 70 on the straighter parts of the highway into the foothills.

You will find the ice shuts off more easily at 38 to 40 mph when using the cruise. The ice should start anytime you drive above 42 mph. This is on my 2007 TCH, I don't know about the newer models.

You might enjoy a scan gauge II as it gives you many readouts including the ice rpm. I used the velcro the came with it and mounted it on the steering column just in front of the speedometer.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-27-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

What kind of mileage are you expecting?

"...but it does not go into ‘e-mode’" What speed are you traveling at? The ICE will not shut down unless you are traveling under 42mph.

"The average over 10,000 miles is 31.8 mpg. This is a far cry from what I obtained" Are you driving your car like you would any other car? The TCH needs to be driven a little differently than a normal car to obtain significantly better FE. Small changes in your driving habits will probably get you where you want to be. You can find additional information and techniques to improve your FE here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/159244-post3.html

Old 12-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Malcontent

The worst I ever got was around 32 mpg and that was during a blizzard; on a short all-uphill drive; with snow tires, very cold temperatures, and no block heater.

Check the obvious things first: dealer sneaking in non-0W20 oil into your car and low tire pressures.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the many informative and interesting comments and suggestions.

KenRosen – I was not aware that the ICE does not shut down above 40 mph. I verified it this morning, and it certainly appears to be the case. As for the logic of it ...

SteveHansen – I had heard that mileage might improve after the first service (5K). It did not happen.

Old-Crows – You say: “Our ’09 may get as low as 32 to 34 ... averages about 35+”. I wish I would get those numbers... You also mention the weather, which could hardly be a factor here. It does not get into the 40s, much less the 30s! Finally, “realize that even 35 - 36 is generally better ...” I would be happy with 34 – 35.

Pete4 – Again, the temperature difference between summer and winter is minimal here, so it should have very little effect. I was also reporting mileage figures for the last 12 months (since I got the car), and there seems to be no fluctuations from one season to the other. You also say that “driving too conservative will burn more fuel”. I tend to use cruise control as much as possible, setting it at 65 on the freeway. Is that considered “conservative”? “I get 40-43 mpg year around except winter, where I get 35 – 38”. This is a far cry from what I get.

rburt7 – Yes, it’s downhill on the way back, but it never makes up for the uphill! “You will find the ICE shuts off more easily at 38 to 40 mph when using the cruise”. Interesting. But on the long downhill coming back home, gravity will take over and go way past 40; the speed limit being 55, I wouldn’t want to go 40 anyway... I will however try it sometime; is that where the B gear shift setting should be used? About the scan gauge II: I’ll try to find out more; I may get back to you for some details.

ppgroup – Thanks for confirming that the ICE does not shut down below 40 mph or so. – Yes, I am driving it like any other car, avoiding sudden accelerations, jack-rabbit starts, slamming on the brakes, etc. I re-read the tips in the link you provided. As I said before, I do drive conservatively.

Squint – I wish the worst I ever got was 32 mpg! – I do not know what oil the dealer used. Should I insist on 0W20 next time? I will check the tire pressure.

Again, thank you for all the help. I’ll keep monitoring this thread.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

You mention using CC. If you are in a hilly area, the CC can cost you a lot of MPGs.

The reason is that the CC tries to maintain a constant speed and when it sees the car slowing down it will add gas rather heavily to maintain speed. try a tank or two with out CC in the hills.

(CC = cruise control)

Quick Reply: Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands