My 16th time bringing my TCH back to the dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Default My 16th time bringing my TCH back to the dealer!

I am picking up my car today and booking another appt. for my car.
This will be the 16th time bringing back this car! Unbelievable. They haven't even tried appeasing me with a free oil change.
I've had the rattle in the dash, squeaky armrest, rickety, crickety center console, radio replaced. Probably 6 test drives I've done with techs.
They now are telling me to come back since some of the noise I hear is the rear suspension which needs a vibration, noise isolation kit and some exhaust manifold kit, since I hear noise from the front. I must have the record for warranty service on this car. I've called Toyota Canada 3 time already and will call them again tonight. Maybe I should charging them "My Hourly Rate"?

ideas? I love the car, but this is wasting so much of my time, argghh.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My 16th time bringing my TCH back to the dealer!

I used to be very picky and tried to fix every single rattle, squeak on my vehicles by going thru dealership and ended up costing me more problems/issues from the incompetency of the dealers and learned my lesson to not bother anymore if it is not serious issue (i.e. mechanical) but that's me...

As an FYI, I have the already known famous rattle/criquet noise but does not let it bother me...

Old 02-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

Why did you have the radio replaced?

Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I had some problems with my radio. Ocassionally it would cut out when I used the mode button on the steering wheel to go from disc to radio. I had probably 9 or 10 cut out in 7 months. Often the radio displayed the channel but no sound whatsoever. I usually had to turn the radio on and off a couple of times to get it back going. A couple of times that didnt' work and I had to turn the car on and off to get it to "reboot". They put a new one in. The person I spoke with at Toyota Canada told me that she didn't know of this being an issue with the TCH. This rep. was a little coy though, stating each customer issue is unique and dealt with individually. The rep. was polite and did seem sincere with my various concerns though.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Electricity Guzzler

quick update. When I was at the dealer tonight. The service guy did tell me that a TSB has been released (In Canada) for the rear suspension. My car sometimes makes a weird bumping noise on very uneven services from the back. I thought it may be the rear left deck. It's not as rigid as it could be based on the vibes it gives when the stereo is loud. But sound can tranmit in deceptive ways and throw you off. The service guy didn't know what was being done and the tech was gone for the day. Some type of sound insulation and vibration kit is being ordered. (maybe rubber bushings for the strut?) I don't have a clue. But another time I get to go back to the dealer for warranty work and they don't provide me with a loaner or rental. When the work is done, I'll post how they addressed with the issue. I don't know what is being done to the exhaust pipe at the manifold either (maybe a gasket of some sort) Has anyone out their had these noise issues addressed with their car? and to add insult to injury, the center console was bowed out when I picked up the car so I got jabbed with its sharp edge when I got in the car! I had to go back in the dealer to show it to them. I wasn't too impressed. It looks like the tech probably put extra, extra foam in there and it was pushing the middle out where the cup holder door opens.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
I had some problems with my radio. Ocassionally it would cut out when I used the mode button on the steering wheel to go from disc to radio. I had probably 9 or 10 cut out in 7 months. Often the radio displayed the channel but no sound whatsoever. I usually had to turn the radio on and off a couple of times to get it back going. A couple of times that didnt' work and I had to turn the car on and off to get it to "reboot". They put a new one in. The person I spoke with at Toyota Canada told me that she didn't know of this being an issue with the TCH. This rep. was a little coy though, stating each customer issue is unique and dealt with individually. The rep. was polite and did seem sincere with my various concerns though.
I have the same exact problem with mine. Sometimes it will display info but no audio. Mostly it just does it with the XM only though. I have to shut the car off and back on.

I had the crickets in the center console, but they went away on their own for some reason. Now I have one above my head near the drivers side grab bar. That really drives me nuts!!

Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

You guys really just need to wait untill it gets warmer to be freaking out about some rattles. No car is perfect, and with the hybrid system being so quiet, it's a given that you are going to hear little creaks and rattles untill the plastic in the car warms up. It's just a given, no matter what they do to the car, you can't change the properties of cold plastic.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Electricity Guzzler

Kris I do appreciate your comment re: the thermal properties of plastic.

I've had my car since June 2 and can tell you the noise difficulties, rattles, squeaks, creaks and thumps were loud enough to make my passengers comment even when it was 33 degrees C outside. A TSB for the rear suspension has been released re: this and a "notice" re: loose venting in the dash, as well as my squeaking brakes which had to be shimmed. I do agree though owners of the our car are probably more generally informed than the average car buyer and tend to demand the level of service and quality that should be expected, but seldom demanded from new car buyers. IMHO.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kris
You guys really just need to wait untill it gets warmer to be freaking out about some rattles. No car is perfect, and with the hybrid system being so quiet, it's a given that you are going to hear little creaks and rattles untill the plastic in the car warms up. It's just a given, no matter what they do to the car, you can't change the properties of cold plastic.
I own a 2001 Highlander and had it since 2001. It is subject to the same cold, but no rattles. My previous cars did not have them eaither. 2002 Acura TL, 2001 Honda Prelude, 1994 Accord and 1997 Accord. Maybe they did make the car too quiet.

My rattles are not bad and not loud like others have stated. It is just bothersome.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, at least you are keeping your service managers busy :-) Best of luck guys.

Quick Reply: My 16th time bringing my TCH back to the dealer!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands