My TCH ran for 4 days, unoccupied (don't laugh)!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: My TCH ran for 4 days, unoccupied (don't laugh)!

Originally Posted by Regztfen
I watch my clock religously!
Amen brother!!!!! That is the only thing I watch!! It is fool proof. Clock out = engine off.

Also pay attention when you shut the door. If the key fob is on you and you leave the vehicle while it is running you will get 3 shorts beeps one after another. This is another indicator that it is still running.

Last edited by coolshock1; 07-17-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

I watch the clock as well.

As a side note, I met a woman that just purchased a TCH and she told me that she always had a problem telling if the car is off. I told her the same trick and the website I got it from

Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolshock1
Amen brother!!!!! That is the only thing I watch!! It is fool proof. Clock out = engine off.

Also pay attention when you shut the door. If the key fob is on you and you leave the vehicle while it is running you will get 3 shorts beeps one after another. This is another indicator that it is still running.
Yeah, only thing that saves me is the beeps sometimes. Also if you open the door while the car's still on you may notice the in-dash display (no Nav here so no idea what it might do) will helpfully point out that your door is open, which won't happen when the car's off.

Only problem with the beep thing is that on some random occasions, when you get out of the car it will beep and you'll have no idea why. That always throws me, but hasn't hit me for a while now.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not sure if this is an urban legend, or not, but my mother called me (frantic) when she heard I got a hybrid, because she heard (all they do in Florida is sit around and tell stories) that someone died because they left their hybrid in the attached garage, not realizing it was on, and when the engine turned on ....yada, yada, yada.

I'm too lazy to check snopes.com, but it sounded like one of those myths.

Which is not to say that this couldn't happen.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

I guess they're suggesting the car created so much carbon monoxide in the garage that it raised the rest of the house to a lethal level too? That sounds pretty far fetched to me. Even if the garage was at a lethal level, it's not like you could open the door, walk in, take a breath, and keel over. It takes time to get poisoned. Plus, the door to the garage is meant to seal well enough to keep temperature extremes out of the house, so it would take a long time for enough CO to seep through.

For the post above that one, one cause for the beeps when you get out of the car is opening the door before you turn it off. I guess it's worried you'll walk away and forget to close the door but I think it's odd.

--A2K

Last edited by Atlantix2000; 07-17-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by chestr
Yeah, only thing that saves me is the beeps sometimes. Also if you open the door while the car's still on you may notice the in-dash display (no Nav here so no idea what it might do) will helpfully point out that your door is open, which won't happen when the car's off.

Only problem with the beep thing is that on some random occasions, when you get out of the car it will beep and you'll have no idea why. That always throws me, but hasn't hit me for a while now.
I get that unexplained beep too....except that it's usually when I leave the moonroof open or vented which would mean that it then explained. I can see Haraldo typing now " You shouldn't do that...you don't know what might get in!"

Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM

He watch it wise guy!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by chestr
....Only problem with the beep thing is that on some random occasions, when you get out of the car it will beep and you'll have no idea why. That always throws me, but hasn't hit me for a while now.
I think that's the "you opened the door too soon" beep. If the door is open before you turn off the car, it will beep as soon as the car is off and will stop beeping when you close the door.
Silly warning, since the car is off...what is it telling you? Warning you that the door is open? ("Danger Will Robinson! You turned the car off and opened the door! Danger!" ...sorry youngsters, ask your folks about that one).

Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I think that's the "you opened the door too soon" beep. If the door is open before you turn off the car, it will beep as soon as the car is off and will stop beeping when you close the door.
Silly warning, since the car is off...what is it telling you? Warning you that the door is open? ("Danger Will Robinson! You turned the car off and opened the door! Danger!" ...sorry youngsters, ask your folks about that one).
This is a throwback to the days when the open door beep or buzzer reminded you that you left your key in the ignition. Remember when we had to have a key to start a car? Now it's telling us, you opened the door before turning off the car. Maybe it needs to be a little more annoying?

Last edited by jbollt; 07-17-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by jbollt
....Maybe it needs to be a little more annoying?
Are you nuts?

Quick Reply: My TCH ran for 4 days, unoccupied (don't laugh)!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands