Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Nav DVD ver.8.1 gen5 (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/nav-dvd-ver-8-1-gen5-21516/)

crasher 04-15-2009 05:39 AM

Nav DVD ver.8.1 gen5

New DVD is out and available for download on torrent. This is hybrid DVD with loading file of 5.1, so can be overridden. Last year I downloaded similar 7.1ver. and it worked flawless.;)

nyceshirtz 04-15-2009 01:59 PM

Re: Nav DVD ver.8.1 gen5

I've been dl'ing it for about 4 days and am at 62%. When finished, i will post if it is successfully installed and operational.

crasher 04-16-2009 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by nyceshirtz (Post 201308)
I've been dl'ing it for about 4 days and am at 62%. When finished, i will post if it is successfully installed and operational.

So did it worked? I may dl it too. Are there significant improvement in the map/poi?

mikieboyblue 04-16-2009 09:22 AM

I have had a 8.1 disc for a few days and was able to reauthor it successfully using the 5.1 KWI file. All is well at this point.

ptung07 04-17-2009 02:22 PM

Thanks! Please let us know how it is. I found the torrent but please, for all who has downloaded completely, please seed!!

Could anyone later please tell me how to burn this DL DVD and install the 5.1 KWI mod?

nyceshirtz 04-17-2009 07:36 PM

finally finished dl'ing; burned it and it works great!

ptung07 04-17-2009 11:02 PM

If I may ask, how did you burn the disc and did you notice any changes? Thank you!

nyceshirtz 04-18-2009 05:17 AM

burned it with imgburn. what type of changes? its an updated maps and poi's from the v8.1 dvd with 5.1 kwi file. the torrent author already did the file overlays. just burn, load and use. My '07 TCH is a bit finicky about the brand of dvd media used. It likes one brand over all the others, so I have a few coasters for the car!

ptung07 04-18-2009 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by nyceshirtz (Post 201460)
burned it with imgburn. what type of changes? its an updated maps and poi's from the v8.1 dvd with 5.1 kwi file. the torrent author already did the file overlays. just burn, load and use. My '07 TCH is a bit finicky about the brand of dvd media used. It likes one brand over all the others, so I have a few coasters for the car!

Thank you! I was wondering if it is possible to UNDO the 5.1 KWI file modification. I hate hitting the "I agree" button every time I start the car and would rather be locked out of the Nav rather than dealing with the I agree message.
Does anyone know how to undo this?

nyceshirtz 04-18-2009 09:55 AM

you might want to send a pm to mikieboyblue and ask him if he has an original backup copy of the 8.1 dvd he used to make his hybrid dvd.

pandc 04-20-2009 07:00 AM

I am currently attempting to download the new file from a torrent but it is taking forever...now says 2weeks and 2 days...etc...anyone willing to help out a fellow hybrid owner? ...send me a private message if you can help...thks

crasher 04-21-2009 09:02 PM

I DL it too.:D
It took forever, I did not noticed much(any) difference till now. But I never ventured to new developments yet.
I used Imgburn too, but I burnt @ max speed 4x. No probs at all. I used Verbatamin media with no issues both last year and this year too.

chasm2 04-26-2009 04:17 AM

Can anyone post the procedure to have the car accept the new disk. That is, what fuses to unplug etc.

crasher 04-26-2009 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by chasm2 (Post 201935)
Can anyone post the procedure to have the car accept the new disk. That is, what fuses to unplug etc.

Eject the existing disk.
Open the fuse box under the hood.
Pull out fuse for radio1 (fuse map is on the cover) for about 1 minute.
Put back every thing together. Next time you start, it will say disk missing.
Insert new DVD, you are done.
You will also lose all preset for radio.

chasm2 04-26-2009 03:46 PM

crasher

TY, the procedure work very well

bkushner 04-27-2009 08:48 PM

i just disconnected the battery in trunk for a minute. worked

spgdxb 05-01-2009 10:54 AM

Can someone send me the name of the torrent and the website? I have been looking for it without luck. Also, I know there's a post out here on how to override the nav so you can use it while the car is moving, but I can't seem to get that done. Can someone please help. Thanks.

pandc 05-01-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I picked up this tip from another site. If your Camry has a NAV system, you can OVERRIDE the programming of your system, thereby allowing you access to certain NOT-normally-available functions while driving.

At least two things are possible by using the OVERRIDE feature: you can manually enter addresses while driving, and you can access normally locked-out features (phone book and manual dialing, for example) of your Bluetooth phone.

Here's a summary. It takes seconds to do, and is simpler than the explanation would lead you to believe.

On the panel to the left of the NAV screen, press MENU and then on the touchscreen, press VOLUME. Then, in the upper left corner of the touchscreen, press the speaker icon once. Then, in the lower left corner of the touchscreen, where NO icon exists (blank), press once. Then repeat the last two steps, pressing the speaker icon and the blank lower left corner again. To summarize, the sequence is:

MENU > VOLUME > VOLUME ICON > BLANK >VOLUME ICON > BLANK

This will bring up a HIDDEN touchscreen. To use the locked-out features of NAV and Bluetooth, touch and hold the OVERRIDE button for five seconds. It will turn blue to indicate you have highlighted it. That's it! However, the OVERRIDE will be discontinued when you power off your car, and you will need to repeat this procedure each time.

NOTE: YOU CAN ACTIVATE OVERRIDE AT ANY TIME WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING. THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ACTIVATED WHILE STOPPED. THEREFORE, YOU CAN LEAVE IT ALONE UNTIL NEEDED.

Obviously, Toyota has locked out some features for safety reasons, but on long trips it may be useful to search for a restaurant while you're driving, or dial a phone number from your saved phonebook. I haven't yet been able to check if CALLER ID is available when OVERRIDE is used, but that would be excellent, too!

Kornstad 05-01-2009 06:04 PM

I tried the procedure to OVERRIDE on our 07 Camry with no luck. What's the trick or what am I doing wrong.

"OVERRIDE by pressing:
MENU > VOLUME > VOLUME ICON > BLANK >VOLUME ICON > BLANK"

pandc 05-01-2009 06:48 PM

What is the exact version of the map dvd ? You might have one that doesnt have the override file in it. :lightbulb

tharvey 05-01-2009 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by pandc (Post 202359)
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I picked up this tip from another site. If your Camry has a NAV system, you can OVERRIDE the programming of your system, thereby allowing you access to certain NOT-normally-available functions while driving.

At least two things are possible by using the OVERRIDE feature: you can manually enter addresses while driving, and you can access normally locked-out features (phone book and manual dialing, for example) of your Bluetooth phone.

Here's a summary. It takes seconds to do, and is simpler than the explanation would lead you to believe.

On the panel to the left of the NAV screen, press MENU and then on the touchscreen, press VOLUME. Then, in the upper left corner of the touchscreen, press the speaker icon once. Then, in the lower left corner of the touchscreen, where NO icon exists (blank), press once. Then repeat the last two steps, pressing the speaker icon and the blank lower left corner again. To summarize, the sequence is:

MENU > VOLUME > VOLUME ICON > BLANK >VOLUME ICON > BLANK

This will bring up a HIDDEN touchscreen. To use the locked-out features of NAV and Bluetooth, touch and hold the OVERRIDE button for five seconds. It will turn blue to indicate you have highlighted it. That's it! However, the OVERRIDE will be discontinued when you power off your car, and you will need to repeat this procedure each time.

NOTE: YOU CAN ACTIVATE OVERRIDE AT ANY TIME WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING. THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ACTIVATED WHILE STOPPED. THEREFORE, YOU CAN LEAVE IT ALONE UNTIL NEEDED.

Obviously, Toyota has locked out some features for safety reasons, but on long trips it may be useful to search for a restaurant while you're driving, or dial a phone number from your saved phonebook. I haven't yet been able to check if CALLER ID is available when OVERRIDE is used, but that would be excellent, too!

will this work on a 2009 with 8.1 factory dvd????

thanks

tim

nyceshirtz 05-02-2009 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by tharvey (Post 202374)
will this work on a 2009 with 8.1 factory dvd????

thanks

tim

not with the factory dvd. you need a modified dvd with a 5.1 kwi file.

Kornstad 05-02-2009 06:58 AM

What's on the DVD is Data version 6.1. Is that the information your talking about?

mikieboyblue 05-02-2009 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kornstad (Post 202397)
What's on the DVD is Data version 6.1. Is that the information your talking about?

No. That's the data version. The firmware (loading.kwi) file MUST be at version 5.1 to have the override function. Right off the top of my head, I do not recall any way of you knowing what loading.kwi version you have. The 5.1 loading.kwi file is about 46 MB (45.8 MB).

nyceshirtz 05-02-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 202401)
No. That's the data version. The firmware (loading.kwi) file MUST be at version 5.1 to have the override function. Right off the top of my head, I do not recall any way of you knowing what loading.kwi version you have.

the only way to find out the version of the kwi file is to open the map dvd on a pc, look at the filesize of the loading.kwi file. if it is anything BUT 46,956kb(or around 45kb - actual size may vary dependant upon the physical disk it is stored on(sector size)), it is NOT a v5.1 file. it is callled a v5.1 file because the 5.1 version of the map dvd data was the version that offered this overide capability. other later versions that were released did not have the same functionality (i.e., versions 6.1, 7.1 and 8.1). hence the modified 8.1 mapdata file with a 5.1 loading.kwi file.

dcemureviews 05-02-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by spgdxb (Post 202345)
Can someone send me the name of the torrent and the website? I have been looking for it without luck. Also, I know there's a post out here on how to override the nav so you can use it while the car is moving, but I can't seem to get that done. Can someone please help. Thanks.

Google... http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=toyot...fp=KqtEvp1-d7s

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4838588/Toyota_Navigation_Gen_5_v_8.1_(Hybrid_5.1)
http://extratorrent.com/torrent/1856...81+Hybrid.html
http://www.sumotorrent.com/en/details/2769253/Toyota%20Navigation%20Gen%205%20v%208.1%20(Hybrid% 205.1).html

spgdxb 05-04-2009 04:35 PM

Thanks dcemu, it took a while, but I got it downloaded

I didn't realize that most DVD-R's have only 4.7Gb, so I am going to get one that'll hold all the data and then try it. I'll keep everyone posted.

As far as the manual override, I think my version does not allow me to. I tried the different steps and it didn't work

dcemureviews 05-04-2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by spgdxb (Post 202548)
Thanks dcemu, it took a while, but I got it downloaded

I didn't realize that most DVD-R's have only 4.7Gb, so I am going to get one that'll hold all the data and then try it. I'll keep everyone posted.

As far as the manual override, I think my version does not allow me to. I tried the different steps and it didn't work

You need dual layer DVDs.

The nav disc that comes with your car does not have the override, that is why you just downloaded the file.

ajay71 05-05-2009 01:57 AM

Can this hybrid be used on a Lexus RX 350 2007 Model that came with Gen 5 v 6.1 ?

Thanks in advance!
AJ

mikieboyblue 05-06-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ajay71 (Post 202571)
Can this hybrid be used on a Lexus RX 350 2007 Model that came with Gen 5 v 6.1 ?

Thanks in advance!
AJ

It should work. The version I have is actually the Lexus disc. It works fine in my TCH.

crasher 05-08-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ajay71 (Post 202571)

Thanks in advance!
AJ

Yes
I used it on 2007 RX 350

spgdxb 05-09-2009 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by crasher (Post 201937)
Eject the existing disk.
Open the fuse box under the hood.
Pull out fuse for radio1 (fuse map is on the cover) for about 1 minute.
Put back every thing together. Next time you start, it will say disk missing.
Insert new DVD, you are done.
You will also lose all preset for radio.

I did the above steps. When I turned on the car it said, DVD missing. So I put in the new disc that I burned. But it won't load. Doesn't do anything. So I popped in the old disc and it picked it up. After that I checked the presets and they were not lost..they were all still there.

I used a Verbatim DVD+R DL to burn the file. Any ideas?

jpezz 05-09-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by spgdxb (Post 202843)
I did the above steps. When I turned on the car it said, DVD missing. So I put in the new disc that I burned. But it won't load. Doesn't do anything. So I popped in the old disc and it picked it up. After that I checked the presets and they were not lost..they were all still there.

First, the steps are only necessary to make the system pick up the 5.1 setup info. To just test a new DVD, just insert it. Only when you know it works and you want to go backwards in settings (use the 5.1 instead of a newer one), is it necessary to do the power thing.

As far as your DVD is concerned, it seems to be a matter of which software, which DVD writer, and which brand of DVD as well as a perfect file burned perfectly. You might do what I did - get someone who has been successful to make the DVD for you.

spgdxb 05-09-2009 11:35 AM

Well, I downloaded the torrent that says it it ver 8.1 with 5.1 kwi file. I used imgburn to write the DVD. My DVD writer is the one that come with my Toshiba Satellite laptop.

I wouldn't mind getting it from someone who's made it, I just would like to figure out why this one ain't working!!

zebrajeb 05-09-2009 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jpezz (Post 202845)
As far as your DVD is concerned, it seems to be a matter of which software, which DVD writer, and which brand of DVD as well as a perfect file burned perfectly. You might do what I did - get someone who has been successful to make the DVD for you.

Well, I've not had any luck - technologically challenged I guess. I'd be very grateful if someone could make on for me!

Thanks

John

spgdxb 05-09-2009 04:41 PM

Me too..please PM me if you have a copy of the DVD already made. Thanks

bkushner 05-09-2009 09:43 PM

There is a 8.1 torrent without hybrid out there but i can't get it to work in my car. It loads up but then I get an error message saying it's not a dvd . Burned 4 times so far. The hybrid torrent worked for me though.

Scooters 05-12-2009 05:40 PM

A *ahem* friend told me that the Hybrid disk works just fine!

markogb 05-13-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by spgdxb (Post 202843)

I had the same problem, did yo you fix it?

spiff72 05-13-2009 07:29 PM

I found the non hybrid 8.1 iso image, and burned it directly with Toast on my Mac, and it worked fine.

I then tried burning a DVD with Toast with the 5.1 "LOADING.KWI" file, and it wouldn't work in the nav system (it didn't recognize it as a valid DVD).

I ended up examining the iso image of the non hybrid dvd with ImgBurn under Windows XP (running as a virtual machine in VMWare Fusion), and noted what kind of filesystem it used. It was ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF, UDF revision 1.02.

So I then tried writing files (swapping out the firmware file for the 5.1 version) to a DVD using ImgBurn and under the Options tab, I chose the options mentioned above. This resulted in a successful burn that was recognized by the Nav system on my Camry.

I ended up using ImgBurn because I didn't know how to be sure what settings Toast was using on the Mac.

Maybe this will help those of you struggling with getting this to work.

Good luck!