Need Advice / info on TCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need Advice / info on TCH

tnsig,

I know what you mean. While I have always been kind of a "green" person, it wasn't until I got my TCH that I realized how much fuel is wasted by everyone.

When I pull up to a light and the ICE cuts off, I look around and think about all the millions of cars sitting at lights at that instant, all running their engines for no good reason.

I also drive +5 most of the time, but have done that for so many years that I am used to the looks I get. I don't care...I figure that when I hear about global warming on the news, I can say that I am at least trying to do something about it.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abward
tnsig,

I know what you mean. While I have always been kind of a "green" person, it wasn't until I got my TCH that I realized how much fuel is wasted by everyone.

When I pull up to a light and the ICE cuts off, I look around and think about all the millions of cars sitting at lights at that instant, all running their engines for no good reason.

I also drive +5 most of the time, but have done that for so many years that I am used to the looks I get. I don't care...I figure that when I hear about global warming on the news, I can say that I am at least trying to do something about it.
It's funny because I asked my wife if she noticed that our TCH doesn't smell like rotten eggs when we pull into the garage. The exhaust smell of cars here in East TN are horrible. I guess I was used to the cars in CA. I don't really remember cars smelling that bad. I guess it has something to do with a different fuel mixture.

Even though I didn't enjoy getting my car smogged in CA, I really think we should require that in all states so we can get some of these clunkers off the road or fixed. Some of these cars are just spewing crap out of their tailpipes and it's sickening. I felt that way even before buying/considering the TCH. Anyway that's a whole other topic...

The glares don't bother me much. Although sometimes I wish I had a digital sign in my back window that said "THE SPEED LIMIT IS XX NOT 85". That would really get them going LOL.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

I used to be the one always getting irritated at all those slow pokes on the road... I would always wonder why these #$%^ drivers couldn't just drive 10 mph over the limit like everyone else!!!

Funny how times have changed. I have slowed down considerably ever since getting my TCH, often choosing the rightmost lane just to "get out of the way". Even so, people still get p-o'ed at me just for being on the road and not "keeping up" in the rat race.

But in the end, I still have the last laugh... at the pump station! :-) Wow, this car's FE is truly incredible -- and still gives you enough power to "crank it up" whenever you need it. A true "sheep in wolf's clothing".

Old 03-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah the TCH doesn't pull as hard as the V6 version but it does get nearly double the milage. In normal traffic conditions look to see 34-38 but if your really trying hard enough, it isn't too hard to get 40+. On the way back from the dealer, very little traffic and esay 45mph driving, I got 46.1, trust me, what the hybrid lacks in acceleration and power, it easily makes up for in sophisticaion and fuel economy.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HybridFan
I used to be the one always getting irritated at all those slow pokes on the road... I would always wonder why these #$%^ drivers couldn't just drive 10 mph over the limit like everyone else!!!

Funny how times have changed. I have slowed down considerably ever since getting my TCH, often choosing the rightmost lane just to "get out of the way". Even so, people still get p-o'ed at me just for being on the road and not "keeping up" in the rat race.

But in the end, I still have the last laugh... at the pump station! :-) Wow, this car's FE is truly incredible -- and still gives you enough power to "crank it up" whenever you need it. A true "sheep in wolf's clothing".
I know this may sound like a dumb question but if you drove the TCH like any regular car, in other words not striving for mpg, what kind of mileage do you think you would get. I am referring to city driving

Old 04-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you drive it hard, you could get around 28-32. If you drive it without thinking about mpg, which you will eventually do once the newness wears off, you'll get around 33-36 easily without thinking about it.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kris
If you drive it hard, you could get around 28-32. If you drive it without thinking about mpg, which you will eventually do once the newness wears off, you'll get around 33-36 easily without thinking about it.
Agreed. I drive mine the same way I drove my 92 Camry. I make no allowance for it being a hybrid.

Currently here in Calgary with temps ranging between -5C and +15C I'm getting 6.6 L/100km or 35.6 mpg (U.S.) or 42.8 mpg (Imperial).

Old 04-01-2007, 09:37 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Ookpik
I know this may sound like a dumb question but if you drove the TCH like any regular car, in other words not striving for mpg, what kind of mileage do you think you would get. I am referring to city driving
The absolute worst tank mileage I've had, dead of winter and bitterly cold, ICE running constantly, mainly short in town commutes, etc. was 29mpg. In the winter I generally drive more normally as its a lot harder to eek out FE gains, but I'm not driving the snot out of it either.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 AM
iam4pack

What gets me is people who don't understand that if you're coming to a red light there is no reason to keep on the gas right up to the light. If I see that I'm going to have to stop I start coasting. When I get to the light I'm at same point as all the cars that zoomed past me.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kris

Thanks That is what I wanted to know.

Quick Reply: Need Advice / info on TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands