New 7.1 Nav disc in part chain now.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 7.1 Nav disc in part chain now.

Dan, it's probably too early for you to say, but have you noticed any improvement in terms of maps or routing with the new version?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

The only thing I have noticed between the 6.1 and the 7.1 is the lack of an I agree screen.

The roads all sem to be about the same. And even roads that are more than 5 years old, are still not on the maps.

Poor, very poor upgrade.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've noticed a couple of new roads, but the thing with map updates is if they have done your area it's great, and if they haven't it's useless.

As ag4ever says, there can be 5 year old roads that aren't on it. In fact, I've noticed that if a "new" road doesn't appear when it's first constructed, it tends to not appear at all, or at least for a long time.

I don't know if they would use the 7.1 disk to replace the 5.1 TSB. That would be logical, but then logic never comes into it!

I still think the price for this (in the U.S. at least) isn't bad. I've paid more for almost all of the other OEM units I've got.

Later!

Dang

Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Has anyone tried to access the override screens with the 7.1 disc? Also, does Toyota publish a "what's new" list that we can owners can use to see if it is worth the $$?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Dazed and Confused

You can get to the headlight activate diagnostic screen, but the volume corner press screen is not there again.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beng
Has anyone tried to access the override screens with the 7.1 disc? Also, does Toyota publish a "what's new" list that we can owners can use to see if it is worth the $$?
You could try the NavTeq site.
http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-we...ER&language=en

You can enter an address, or just search around. Not 100% sure just because you see it on this site, it means it's on the disc though.

Dang

Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

However, I'd be pretty confident that if it's not there, it's not on the update. As is the case with my own street.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

How disappointing...just confirmed on the NavTeq site that a road in my area is still missing, been there for 10 years now.

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-we...ER&language=en

More than likely I'll order this update as other roads may have been added.

One other note, it appears that Google, Mapquest, etc... use NavTeq to source their maps. Ironically the sat view clearly shows the missing road. Seems to me that Google with its IT prowess should be able to do a comparative of its sat images against the road maps and provide quicker/greater feedback to NavTeq.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

you mean to tell me after forking out 30 grand for a car, about $1000 of which was for navigation, we have to spend $250 for a new DVD??? It's just a stamped piece of plastic! I assume they have some royalties going out to a big map making company. I wish someone would make a hacked ISO of it without the lockouts and post it up. I bet there's someone around that knows enough about programming to edit the source code.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

I just check with my local dealer, and the update DVD is on nationwide backorder. It could be a month before mine comes in. Oh well, I'm in no hurry for it.

Quick Reply: New 7.1 Nav disc in part chain now.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands