New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires

Anyone out there move up to 17" tires? If so how did they affect ride and FE?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robertru
Anyone out there move up to 17" tires? If so how did they affect ride and FE?
I see in the Camry brochure that they only offer the 17" with the gas only powered models.

The hybrid shows to have only the 16", 8 spoke alloys. If you went to a larger wheel and tire it may rub. The engine and EV motor would not have the correct rpm in relation to the highway. The speedometer would also not be correct.

My Ford Five Hundred has the 17" wheels. That narrows it down to about 3 brands of tires. Two of the good brands in that size cost upwards to $750 drive out price.

Yes, the 17" tires might give a little better ride. A cars ride depends a lot on the car manufactures suspension.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

Guess I should have been clearer. The 215/55-17 is a direct replacement for the original 16" tires. Same diameter etc. so no clearance or speedo problems. The sidewall is a bit stiffer, hence the ? about ride. The only reason I'm asking is because I think the 16's look a bit lost on the car.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I guess I missing something...how can a 17" tire have the same diameter as a 16" tire?

Old 07-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

Side wall height is lower thus allowing for the extra inch in rim diameter. Go to tirerack.com and it will show you replacement sizes up to 19". The lower side wall it stiffer and the ride gets harsher as there is less flex.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:31 PM

I did look at Ford. Their Five Hundred comes standard with 17" / 60 series tires. The Limited which is there loaded luxury car comes with 18" / 55 series tires.

You can go to the tirerack.com/ site. Choose your tire and then, specs. This may be where they list the actual turns of the tire in a mile. Look up the tires you use now and compare them You may have already done this. I do understand the 55 series are a little wider and are closer to the ground. I guess the ride is the same or they would not put them on their high end Ford. I don't even know what tire Toyota uses on the Avalon.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-21-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by robertru
Guess I should have been clearer. The 215/55-17 is a direct replacement for the original 16" tires. Same diameter etc. so no clearance or speedo problems. The sidewall is a bit stiffer, hence the ? about ride. The only reason I'm asking is because I think the 16's look a bit lost on the car.
I looked at the brochure. The 16" tires does seem to make the car look a little larger. You might want to check the weight of the 16" vs the 17" tires. A few pounds of spin up weight per tire may slow you some from a standing start.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your ride will be a bit stiffer with the lower profile sidewall, but it should feel a bit more responsive, all other things remaining equal - type of tire, etc. Which wheels are you going to use?

Old 07-22-2007, 04:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrb_nw
Your ride will be a bit stiffer with the lower profile sidewall, but it should feel a bit more responsive, all other things remaining equal - type of tire, etc. Which wheels are you going to use?
Was looking at the SE wheels. New car take offs on ebay $399 for set of 4 from Rusty Wallace Toyota

Old 07-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

ag--
I was told by my dealer this morning that my OEM Bridgestones have just 2/32's on them and need to be replaced!

I have 24,000 miles on them. NOT happy. They had been rotated once and there has been no sign of an alignment problem.

Quick Reply: New Tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands