Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires

36 psi year-round.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by rburt07
I checked the tire pressure late at night on my new TCH when they were cool. I used a dial air gauge that read 40 psi in each. I have never had a tire ride this good with that high of air pressure. I read in the forms that many use the higher pressure. Some even up to the max, 44 psi. I will stay at 40 psi cold it they wear even. I think the higher air pressure should help the tires last longer.

Any better longer lasting tires would sure cost you more than what you paid for these.
I have been running 45 PSI in my tires since I got the car. I am not sure if that helped the tires last longer, but I will get 34,000 out of them, and many have reported getting as low as 19,000 from the bridgestone.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rocko0002
I like it now at the higher pressure but concern with its effect on stability control and winter driving. Can't wait till the next fill up to see if my mpg goes up.
I'm sure with the increase in pressure you will see a increase in your gas mileage. In my older cars I used to run 35 psi cold year round. If it was snowing or any ice on the roads I would drop them to about 32 psi for a slight increase in traction. I'm not sure about the hybrid. If it was icy I may drop them from 40 to 34 psi.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cast_and_blast
36 psi year-round.

35.76386 if you want to get real techie! ROTFFLMAO

Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

BTW, just for more discussion of some of this stuff, thought I'd throw in these articles I saw today:

Run Flat Tires
Nitrogen

Old 08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeah this board took up the nitrogen topic a year or two ago. There were strong opinions on both sides. It's a waste of money IMO, sort of like Monster Cables. There's no true engineering justification, but somehow the marketing convinces people they're worthwhile "upgrades".

Old 08-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: New Tires

Originally Posted by zimbop
There's no true engineering justification, but somehow the marketing convinces people they're worthwhile "upgrades".
Agreed. The problem with air, especially here in the Northwest is its moisture content which condenses when you compress it. The result is moisture and temperature instability in your tires. A few years ago I put an old spray paint pressure bucket into my compressor air line and threw in a handfull of those chemical dryers you get in vitamins or over the counter pills. I fired up the compressor and let it bring the tank (and the paint pressure bucket) up to pressure. Then I let it stand for a while before resetting the pressure on my tires. I use it all the time now. I know it works because the chemical dryers are always wet and need to be dried out or replaced after several uses. If you do it, don't forget to purge the moist air from the air hose and pipe run from the compressor/dryer tank before you use it on your tires.

Last edited by FastMover; 08-17-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added purge statement.